• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matt Finish After Printing

CJ1

Hi Guys

I have recently been trying samples of media to produce a glare-free finish after printing.
I use a Roland RE-640 eco-solvent machine.

Some of the printed samples I have been sent have a Matt finish but when I print the sample roll it has a slight sheen to the ink finish. Which then causes glare under some lighting conditions for darker prints.

Someone who I lost contact with a few years ago printed me a Canvas sample that had no glare, he said that it had to be printed in a certain way. If I had just asked then!!! At the time I didn't know this job was coming.:)

Any advice or experience you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Dallas225

You won’t get any true matte finish on any vinyl without putting a Matte laminate on it.. there is no special way of printing matte or gloss, print is print - the finish of your ink itself cannot be changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ1

Hi Dallas

Yes that is what I thought, there is now special way it can be printed.
I guess he may have meant not solvent.

We are open to any media doesn't have to be vinyl, could be canvas, film, etc.

We were using magicInkjet PPM7 but supply of this product has dried up here.

Thanks

Chris

TravinFlavin

Hey CJ1,
From my experience, if you want to mute your ink, choose an uncoated media that will soak up the ink like canvas or paper. Ink kind of sits on top of coated media, like vinyl, retaining some of it's natural sheen.

CJ1

Hey CJ1,
From my experience, if you want to mute your ink, choose an uncoated media that will soak up the ink like canvas or paper. Ink kind of sits on top of coated media, like vinyl, retaining some of it's natural sheen.
Thank you, this is what we find with the PPM7 that the ink soaks in. I will have a look for uncoated media unless you have any suggestions?

IND Digital Dept.

@industryprintshop
CJ1,
We have similar taste in finishes!
We have been trying to get a better matte finish to our banners and canvas prints and found that the new Nazdar inks (for Roland printers) work great for this. The inks have a really rich color, and we've noticed after using them that we get better color accuracy and they are nowhere near as glossy as the stock Roland inks, especially with the blacks. No mods are needed to use them, and they are even a bit cheaper than OEM inks.

CJ1

Hi IND Digital Dept.

Thanks for your input.

That is not something I ever thought about, but very interesting.
I guess it's not something that could be easily tested.

Have you had any issues with the ink at all and is there anything I would need to consider?

We still have RolandCare so that may be an issue and it has paid for itself so far.

Thanks

Chris

IND Digital Dept.

@industryprintshop
The differences between the glossiness of the stock ink and the matte finish of the Nazdar inks are pretty dramatic but not easily shown in photos unfortunately.
As of now, after using the inks for a couple months, we are super satisfied with them, and no issues as of yet.

CJ1

The differences between the glossiness of the stock ink and the matte finish of the Nazdar inks are pretty dramatic but not easily shown in photos unfortunately.
As of now, after using the inks for a couple months, we are super satisfied with them, and no issues as of yet.
Ok thanks for your help, I will have a look and see what would be involved in switching inks.

Regards

Chris