• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte clear over lettering enamel

Billct2

We're doing a faux finish on some letters cut from PVC. They will be exterior. We've used 1shot & Chromatic paints, now we're realizing that it's too shiny.
Since we don't do a lot of this type of work anymore I'm not up to speed on what's out there. The 1Shot website only shows a gloss
clear that can be used over enamel.
Anyone have any products that have worked for them?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not knowing the size, sometimes you can use regular gloss clear, and do some dry coats and it will appear like a matte or non-glare effect. Some people call it fogging or just a very light mist coat. However, it should have a good clear coat and while wet and setting up, apply the dry coat. Kinda like the old wet on wet method. A dry coat to an already painted-dry surface won't bite in very well.

Billct2

The letter are 12"x12". I just remember that Jillbeans is a big Ronan fan and I haven't used their stuff in forever. They do have a claer that sounds like it might work, I'm looking into that now.

Jillbeans

I'd call Dennis at Ronan: 718-292-1100 or 800-247-6626 (from their site)
I have used Ronan with 1S with no ill effects.
Perhaps they have something suitable.

I would not use a flattening agent as it may cloud your clear.
If you do use a 1S clear paint it on with a brush, DO NOT use their spray clear as it will wrinkle your paint.
They did used to have an anti-graffiti matte clear but I have never used it.

To be honest, I would just leave it be and wait a year, it won't be very shiny anyway.
:ROFLMAO:
Love....Jill

Billct2

Not for enamel. Got some flattening paste for Matthews, but that wouldn't do it.
I guess if I got the right stuff I could flatten 1shot clear?

Jillbeans

Awesome.
I use Ronan almost exclusively, and Dennis has donated paint to our meets.

I used to only use 1-Shot, who very kindly donated oodles of paint to various meets I hosted, and I appreciate that. But I do not appreciate what happened to their paint over the years. It became like the Avery of lettering enamel.
Supposedly they have been bought by another company and are changing their formulations. I really hope to see this happen.

But I am a huge fan of Ronan.

Billct2

Actually during my research I discovered that 1Shot & Chromatic have merged and are owned by Matthews which in turn is owned by PPG.
It was cool to call Ronan and talk to the people who actually make it.

visual800

Not for enamel. Got some flattening paste for Matthews, but that wouldn't do it.
I guess if I got the right stuff I could flatten 1shot clear?

dont put one shot clear on anything. This stuff is worthless, sorta like one shots paints. We spray all of out stuff with latex these says. Outlasts one shot

Jwalk

I used a Modern Masters clear coat and it ended up yellowing .Any experience with that brand?

Spraying clear coat seems to work the best for me.

visual800

I will tell you what I have done in past and actually did it a coupl weeks ago. after painting a sign in latex. I waited a few days and sprayed urethane clear on it BUT I put gun on low pressure and just let it mist the sign. do it evenly and it comes out great. if it does gloss in some places hit with steel wool