• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte Vinyl Prints Fades Fast

PiizzLe

Printing with my BN-20. Orajet Matte Vinyl. Customer says that the print fades fairly fast.

Pretty new at this so is there any way to prevent this? A different vinyl or an added layer to cover the top layer?

Thanks a lot guys.

Biker Scout

Even though the marketing material says that you don't have to laminate, the rule of thumb (for your sanity and good name) is to always laminate. If you are specifically going for a matte finish, go ahead and print on glossy vinyl, but laminate with a matte or luster lamination.

heyskull

+1 for laminating.

I learned very early on that ALL digital prints have to be laminated for them to last over 6 months.
Even though the manufacturers rsay the prints can last for 3 years + I have seen them fade within 3 months!

SC

FatCat

I can honestly say, YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary...but I would also like to know "how fast" are these prints fading.

For a test I made a 4x8 billboard sign using Oracal 3651 NO LAMINATE and regular Mutoh eco-sol ink - which is basically identical to Roland eco-sol. I just took down the billboard almost 4 years later and the print lost about 30-35% of it's color. Still readable, faded yes, but still readable and the sign faced West the whole time. This is Ohio - not Cali, so I'm sure there is some difference, but still...

If your customer thinks a print should last more than a year outdoors then you need to laminate. In your case, I would assume that a small/medium sized Big Squeegee and a flat table would be all you need to easily laminate small prints for future jobs.

PiizzLe

These were small 3x2 prints but its used for laptop and other equipments.

Can you guys point me in the right direction with what laminate to get?

Thanks

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
you always have to laminate.

nothing is light proof

set proper expectations to the customer when they inquire about stuff like this.

-edit- WAIT, what? they were on laptops ... that isn't fading from light ... that is wear and tear from abrasion. Laminate.

PiizzLe

They were made for laptops and Hoppers for Paintball Markers so it was outdoors.

you always have to laminate.

nothing is light proof

set proper expectations to the customer when they inquire about stuff like this.

-edit- WAIT, what? they were on laptops ... that isn't fading from light ... that is wear and tear from abrasion. Laminate.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
outdoors or indoors ... doesn't matter ... it's abrasion. imagine rubbing an ink layer that sits on the top of a flexible substrate with anything with a tooth in transit (cases, bags, etc.) ... not even enameled paint lasts long if you keep rubbing it on things and then take it outside and use it to run around in a paint ball field.

any laminate will work. it's not fading ... it's getting rubbed off.