• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MDO Edge Finishing & Post Paint

Chad.

So i have only been doing this for 13 years but every now and then i like to reach out and see if there's a better way ...

What is your method for finishing edges of MDO Job Site / Real Estate Signs and do you have a go-to paint for the edges and the pressure treated posts?

Our process has always been ...
1) Cut (if Needed)
2) Sand All Edges (Even those pre-painted from the factor)
3) Exterior Grade Wood Filler
4) Dry ... Dry ... Dry ...
5) Sand ...
6) Paint ... (Using an exterior grade oil based paint)
7) Dry ... Dry ... Dry ...
8) Inspect ...
9) Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 as needed ...

A few quagmires i run into are:
1) Paint Drips on face of MDO ... if not caught makes for an ugly blemish under print.
2) Time Consuming ...
3) Occasional winter failures (water penetrates edge, freezes, and expands)
4) Post's suck up paint and seem to scuff easily ...

Like many of us here, i started with a dream and learned through trial, error, and asking questions ...

Any tips, hints, products, or ideas are much appreciated!

Marlene

So i have only been doing this for 13 years but every now and then i like to reach out and see if there's a better way ...

What is your method for finishing edges of MDO Job Site / Real Estate Signs and do you have a go-to paint for the edges and the pressure treated posts?

Our process has always been ...
1) Cut (if Needed)
2) Sand All Edges (Even those pre-painted from the factor)
3) Exterior Grade Wood Filler
4) Dry ... Dry ... Dry ...
5) Sand ...
6) Paint ... (Using an exterior grade oil based paint)
7) Dry ... Dry ... Dry ...
8) Inspect ...
9) Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 as needed ...

A few quagmires i run into are:
1) Paint Drips on face of MDO ... if not caught makes for an ugly blemish under print.
2) Time Consuming ...
3) Occasional winter failures (water penetrates edge, freezes, and expands)
4) Post's suck up paint and seem to scuff easily ...

Like many of us here, i started with a dream and learned through trial, error, and asking questions ...

Any tips, hints, products, or ideas are much appreciated!

use MDO to build a shed or shelves and then buy dibond or alumalite for signs. MDO used to be good material but then, it pretty much was all there was to use. I would never go back to it