• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MDO replacement

Signmaker1234

I use a lot of MDO an I’m looking for a replacement that is faster to complete the project. I’m thinking PVC sheets? Is this a good alternative? If not what do you use? Seems like it would be great especially for hanging signs, as it is available in 1/2” , 3/4”, and 1” thicknesses. Just print and cover the face instead of painting. Seems like it would be easy to cut into just about any shape with a jigsaw or band saw? Thought i would check here before I bought any sheets.

Johnny Best

Foam board is also great for interior hanging signs. PVC does change shape due to weather conditions as to where you reside. The thicker the material the less warpage.

Billct2

Depends on size, installation method and exposure. But 3/4-1" PVC can be a good substitute for smaller custom cut hanging signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, it will warp, expand and contract at a very rapid rate. It also becomes quite brittle when outside in the cold for 3 or 4 days in a row. Not as much with the 3/4" or thicker, but you are also adding some substantial weight. You could look into ACM of various thicknesses.

Signmaker1234

As mentioned, it will warp, expand and contract at a very rapid rate. It also becomes quite brittle when outside in the cold for 3 or 4 days in a row. Not as much with the 3/4" or thicker, but you are also adding some substantial weight. You could look into ACM of various thicknesses.
What exactly is ACM and how do you cut it?

Billct2

Aluminum Composite Panel, well known brand Dibond, but many versions and qualities available. Can be cut with regular "woodworking" tools, or sheet metal tools. Straight edges can also be scored & snapped on the 3mm or thinner

Gino

Premium Subscriber
^ ^ . What he said. Also, for rectangles and simple shapes there are end caps or edging available for various sizes. If you have fancy shapes and whatnot, I still think the wood looks and acts the best. PVC is preferred by many, but doesn't seem to weather as long under certain conditions. I believe it all comes down to a personal preference and what you feel comfortable using.

Brandon708

A substitute for MDO?
Absolutely. We have switched to 10mm coroplast (about 8 years ago) for almost every exterior sign. We do a lot of commercial real estate signs we use it for. We don't ever suggest MDO unless a customer requests it. We have seen 10mm coro last just as long if not longer than MDO outdoors. It can go between two posts without stringers with a 4x8 sign panel. Like the Canuck said it much lighter and easier to move around the shop and install. Its also about half the price as Primed MDO.

Brandon708

realestatesign.jpg

Geet Faulkner

alum-panel (plywood with alum faces).. I'd never use coro for large signs... great for cheerleader signs and spinner signs..

CanuckSigns

alum-panel (plywood with alum faces).. I'd never use coro for large signs... great for cheerleader signs and spinner signs..

The plywood with aluminum faces is called Nu-Alum up here and i've had quite a few issues with it delaminating in a short period of time, even with proper edge sealing on the wood, as a result I don't use it any more.

I really wish you could get ACM in 0.5" -0.75" thicknesses, it would work well for post and panel type signs, and would last quite well, I assume the weight is an issue when it's shipped from China.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The plywood with aluminum faces is called Nu-Alum up here and i've had quite a few issues with it delaminating in a short period of time, even with proper edge sealing on the wood, as a result I don't use it any more.

I really wish you could get ACM in 0.5" -0.75" thicknesses, it would work well for post and panel type signs, and would last quite well, I assume the weight is an issue when it's shipped from China.

Agree 1,000%.