• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Measure a sign that is on an angle

HowieV

How do I get an exact measurement of a sign if the photo was taken on an angle. I am using Flexi SignPro 8.6 v2. Unfortunately I do not have Photo Shop or any other programs to assist me in this. I thank anyone who can help.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You are not going to get the exact measurements of a sign based off a photo. There is always some distortion from the lens and settings used to take the photo.
You can get close
To get your base scale set up you need to know the actual size of something in the photo. If you have this you should be golden.
Find the longest horizontal or vertical edge in the photo and use "Deskew" option under the "Arrange" tab to rotate the photo square with your screen.
From there you can draw a rectangle around the object in the photo that you know the size of - use it to mask the photo inside and then scale up your rectangle to the known size - unmask and set a new rectangle around the edges of the sign to give you the rough size.
Again there is always some distortion and you should physically measure the sign on site if fitting is critical.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you need this for quoting purposes, just ask the owner what size it is. That will be close enough for a quote. If you are making a sign based on these measurements, you better get your butt out there and physically measure it up accurately.

PRS Bryan

If you need this for quoting purposes, just ask the owner what size it is. That will be close enough for a quote. If you are making a sign based on these measurements, you better get your butt out there and physically measure it up accurately.

Well said.

AaronSSsignsKC

Again well said....

2B

what Gino said

also try using google earth > street view. has been very helpful to get perspectives of projects

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You can easily figure the horizontal angles with a bit of geometry and then with some basic trigonometry you can calculate a rectangle that is in proportion to the rectangle in the image. If you then know the actual length of any side then merely size your rectangle accordingly. Not handy with geometry and trigonometry? Then go measure the thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can easily figure the horizontal angles with a bit of geometry and then with some basic trigonometry you can calculate a rectangle that is in proportion to the rectangle in the image. If you then know the actual length of any side then merely size your rectangle accordingly. Not handy with geometry and trigonometry? Then go measure the thing.

Hahahahaaaa........ Most of these people have trouble writing in sentence form..... and you wanna give them credit for possibly knowing formulas for lengths, areas and volumes ?? AND then go into triangles and angels ?? :ROFLMAO:

My experience is you can get very close using trig and algebra, which I use every day. But in an industry where signs must accurate to inches and fractions of inches, getting exact measurements on-site is the only way to be sure.

shoresigns

So if you're not a smarty pants know-it-all like Bob, another way you can estimate the size is with the lens correction filter in Photoshop. Turn the grid on in the preview window to make it easier, then adjust the settings until your sign looks like a rectangle. Then scale the photo in Illustrator based on something in the image that you can estimate the size of. Obviously this is only useful for estimates - you almost always have to measure on-site before production.

Yes, I know you said you don't have Photoshop, but that's how we do it here. I thought it would be worth explaining for anyone else reading this thread that does have Photoshop, or maybe whatever software you use has a similar tool?