• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

media issue

rzr2rocket

Hello everyone,

I have a huge concern with my current digital media. Currently I use Oracal 3641 and 3165RA. I make a lot of window decals/bumper stickers. It seems the vinyl will move and leave the grey adhesive where it was originally was stuck. Anywhere from a couple months in the sun to a year or so. It will also peel. I feel responsible. Can anyone help with this. I can understand if the cheaper 3641 does it but I use 3165RA for business signs too. Should I switch to a different media? If so what? :frustrated:

Thanks!

MikePro

calendared vinyl shrinks over time, by nature of the product
get cast vinyl if you do not like this, or at least laminate with cast overlaminate to delay the issue a year more or so.

3165RA is more expensive because it has air release... still a calendared vinyl, however.

Cale Frederick

You may also try using a higher end calandered vinyl... 3M IJ40C or Oracal 3551RA have both served us well without having to go full cast on a few jobs. The IJ40C has a removable adheisive while the 3551RA claims permanent with clean removal up to 4 years. Our very first wrap job was printed on 3551RA and I am now kinda paranoid about it because it is calandered. I stop by the business at least once a month to check and make sure nothing is going wrong. It's been on for almost 3 years now and no signs of shrinkage or lifting in the recesses and it still looks great. Only problem is some of our shotty cutting job on the van. Oh the things we learn as we go...

rzr2rocket

Thank you for the replies and opinions. I told my vinyl rep that I wanted to switch to 3M from Oracal. He said IJ35c-10 (which is calendared and comparable to 3165RA). I want to keep the cost per decal relatively low and I'm afraid if I switch to all cast or even 3551RA it might kill that. I just dont know what to do. What the media people use to screen print decals?

MikePro

YOracal 3551RA
the "high performance calendared" has worked great for me, as well.
flat-surfaces only, and make sure you don't stretch it while laminating/applying, and it will be very good to you. I have some large projects up using this material, up to 4 years old, and not a bit of lifting/shrinkage and they are in direct sunlight, outside.

Cale Frederick

IJ35C is good to, permenant adheisive will continue to leave the grey residue when removed. If you are planning on screen printing I would say use 3M 50 series cut vinyl. Its cheap and has removable adheisive.

Cale Frederick

Vinyls with removable adhesive is designed to be removed within a few years without leaving residue on whatever it was stuck to. If you leave it stuck longer it will eventually form a more permanent bond and not remove easily. Extreme heat and harsh conditions will shorten the timeframe they can be removed in.