• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media on Versacamm "bubbling" = head strike

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
So I am having issues with my material (3M IJ35C-10 Air Release) which I have used flawlessly for a few years. All of the sudden there seems to be "bumps" in the last 2 rolls. I have the Vacuum setting up to Max.....and it doesn't seem to get rid of the wrinkles in the material - which is then causing head strike and ruining an entire print - which as you know is extremely frustrating. I do put the whole roll on the rollers in the back so the machine feeds it through - should I cut my pieces to size to alleviate any strain pulling the whole roll? Thing is - I noticed the same thing when my last roll was almost empty.....

I also don't know if I should try to lessen the tension on the pinch rollers (not sure how to) but this wrinkle/bubble issue hasn't been a problem in the past without messing with the rollers either....

Any help would be appreciated. Using a Roland Versacamm SP-300V and 3M IJ35C-10 material - Versaworks - Illustrator CS5, etc.

DougWestwood

proper alignment

Hi There,

Make sure your feeder roll is absolutely straight to the print platen.
I ran one of these last summer, and the rear roll was just slightly off, and
it was killing many prints, till I found the problem.

Same for the take up roll, be sure it is straight.
Just as a caution, check your heater settings, as a higher temp could be
warping your material as you print.

Good Luck! Please post results.
- Doug
Vancouver

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you spinning media off, so the rollers don't have a lotta weight to pull up ??
How many pinch rollers are you using ??
How long is the entire print ??
Are your heat settings set correctly or did someone change them on you by mistake, like had happened at our place ??

So I ran into this problem..
what is the temp of the room youre printing in?
It turns out my room was getting colder and the heaters would cause this.

only happen during the colder months

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
And great question about room temp.....it is on carpet but I normally don't have issues. In regards to temps - I am in MN and upstairs is pretty warm (around 70) since it is around 0 degrees outside. The problem hasn't happened long enough for me to make a connection between the weather and the room temp where the printer is........

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Are you spinning media off, so the rollers don't have a lotta weight to pull up ??
How many pinch rollers are you using ??
How long is the entire print ??
Are your heat settings set correctly or did someone change them on you by mistake, like had happened at our place ??

No rollers are pulling up the entire roll - but again, the end of the last roll when there is no real weight I had the issue throughout.

2 pinch rollers around 27.5" apart.....

Print is 24" wide by 17" height....so within those 17" that it feeds - I get headstrike on the material at random spots where the media has bubbled.

Heater at 35 which is lowest setting and have always had it at this for this material.

Humidity??????

splizaat

You have a print heater and a heater after printer. Are they BOTH set low? Or just one? When we run print temp 100F and Heaters at 104+ it bubbles.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
You have a print heater and a heater after printer. Are they BOTH set low? Or just one? When we run print temp 100F and Heaters at 104+ it bubbles.

Both are at lowest settings..........

Any other ideas/suggestions? Or do you attribute this to the temp/humidity of the room my printer is in? Thanks everyone for your time I appreciate it!

the graphics co

could just be an old roll of material that isn't holding to the backing paper any more. Does it happen with all rolls of vinyl or just the one you are using? is there a manufacture date on the rolls?

TXFB.INS

could just be an old roll of material that isn't holding to the backing paper any more. Does it happen with all rolls of vinyl or just the one you are using? is there a manufacture date on the rolls?

+1 we see this on older media also.

another option is where are you seeing the issues? at the front of a new roll or through out the entire roll?
if it is at the front suggest spooling off several rotations before printing.

also if the media is left in the printer (clamps engaged) this will also cause wrinkles as the printer warms up with the material in place

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I've see this happen in the colder months of the year.
If your printing room is cold and your vinyl is stored in a cold environment you will get small ripples in the media while printing.