• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media Width Sensing Seems To Forget

Nuagedesigns

I noticed this with my JV-3 as well as our JV-33. Both 54" models we print and then walk away and sometimes when we come back to cut off material after a while the machine now thinks that the material is a few inches short of 54" width and doesn't cut the sheet completely to the edge. Has anyone else experienced this? Had this issue for years just thought I would see if anyone has a fix.

Thanks

Vish

I noticed this with my JV-3 as well as our JV-33. Both 54" models we print and then walk away and sometimes when we come back to cut off material after a while the machine now thinks that the material is a few inches short of 54" width and doesn't cut the sheet completely to the edge. Has anyone else experienced this? Had this issue for years just thought I would see if anyone has a fix.

Thanks
check your encoder strip. it is a clear plastic strip that runs all the way along the head guide rail. could have some dirt on it. wipe gently with a non abrasive cloth...preferably chamois leather.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's pretty common on the CJV series but I don't hear about it a lot on the JV33. Usually it happens when you change the origin manually instead of letting the printer print from the default origin. Other than that, it might be the encoder. Wouldn't hurt to clean it anyway.

SkyHighJK

We've seen this on occasion on those printers. When doing the initial media width test make sure the width is never more than 1.5" shorter than the media. (i.e. in this case ensure that it is greater than 52.5").
Also, in the machine settings try turning OFF "cut detect" as the sensors can sometimes incorrectly measure the width of the media.

Let me know if you are having more problems or if that is confusing!