• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Menu Boards

klingsdesigns

Customer is looking for menu boards to hang from the ceiling. They want grommets in both top corners. Whatever they are using now is curling and they want something else. I suggested polymetal and they said that it will be too heavy. What other suggestions do you guys have?

2B

foam board
PVC board
styrene
noncurl banner

there are several options that can fit this

how big are these menus? ACM sheets come in different thicknesses for even lighter weight

2B

that changes the list some knowing there is a possibility of heat and moisture.

I know 3mm PVC will not curl, as we have a piece mounted to the side of the building for last 4+ years through all sorts of weather

Bigdawg

Just Me
It really depends on the quality of the PVC. The crap we get would never work for a hanging sign - I only ever use 3mm PVC for temp or small interior wall signs.
The size of the menu board will probably be the driving factor as to what material would be best. Do you have an idea of sizing klingsdesigns?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is ACM hanging from ceiling tiles. 3'x6'. Original one was up there for 5 years and did fine...just got greasy.

3OSPAD0-eR_l7F8txg99m2OraSWdFoVSriC7_i4vOYdGLl2wjhNMRWEMQ1uzIojvI9QEWkTjsgQo2o2VYu5c1n2_s-WHQx1g5MYHYxyDgZzMEdtRYWvlOCXxM4-wPBllbu3-xq_qbF2oy9DYDetLEumhfwKuEzfo56Pmmsh1pp-vXmtylvFjoMb3uB0fUbFiAFzDpOzp2JAmZFfCys1GHaPMf8eGnioxdmwf68y5L0OwJ8W0VgM9As4OrrRYgUmkSuZoxOU3Swn3FATNbTb2paAfHb0U9_JR33xgmObt1F1tEMlPCoXK_kdpK-mIhWxti_9YGjDz3TLMEG7MjHb-eLNqjIBj7XqF9BqUBAlGCJPDjPl9H5H3FhXzR4kPUwcqDjl4MPbaZIdSk0VxBEjMl1_0OKzWu7WVLWGZx27llCSocDlZ3En6L04gg7q71Leg_mLyVPRQqB9NmLTCajGBVnUKqFVrTe73DKQoJAzvQvriH8LTEX2ZbIz2Vz-a3GrkFlc1T0ZFf-XMo3fkmBbdbsziW1Qj2YgjHlU9gb2zCKbj63tQDS1ovou6o0MAt7I-qPfeY2VxiSG_5s80zdDLzF2qDhIGwnXe6xW7_FXiiT5LcTtVXFxW7jQrQ2WXpuIu591pKtsSgEGzxZ98eZOvqXOu3zpG8xjDaw=w713-h535-no

UjIE8rvaFVjIDuUJL7B2p6xZpleDxgSZZbkpnrNL5Lu9HoBvsXe4g15-C1C2e3aTvljIt3BUf1bhZDGrnuT3J_p_-HTDsbVDvHpO2UJmx5dAj6M3SyA6SEd4L6vxULmQg70Imr38RZE=w892-h669-no

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
PVC would not be a consideration, unless the customer specifically requests it.... not in that environment. Same with ACM. I'd suggest either gatorboard or go all out cheap with 10mm Cor-X.

According to where there are going, when placing signs anywhere near food, you are now required to use green inks. Eco-solv and true solvent is no longer allowed..... legally. I'm not sure about latex.

TXFB.INS

What part of the sign is "curling"?
That image shows a slight bowing, nothing I would deem out of the ordinary.

Even the example Texas_Signmaker of the 3MM ACM menu has what appears to be a bow in it, might be the lighting though.
no fault of the maker, just what can be expected unless you get at least .25" thick

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What part of the sign is "curling"?
That image shows a slight bowing, nothing I would deem out of the ordinary.

Even the example Texas_Signmaker of the 3MM ACM menu has what appears to be a bow in it, might be the lighting though.
no fault of the maker, just what can be expected unless you get at least .25" thick

I thinks it's my phone's camera distorting it cause it was flat in real life. The sign on the bottom is 10' so that will definitely bow... I'm mounting that to a wall next week.

ikarasu

Bubblex Coro, aluminum... 30 x 38 isn't that big, lots of materials should be doable without warping.

We usually replace restaurant signs every 1-2 years due to prices changing. Customer can buy some decals to cover it up for a few bucks... Or a quick edit to the file and reprint on bubblex, Coro or whatever they wanted for a bit more, and their signs look brand new and professional .

I'd say bubblex is your best bet... Nice and smooth, and pretty stable .

klingsdesigns

Bubblex Coro, aluminum... 30 x 38 isn't that big, lots of materials should be doable without warping.

We usually replace restaurant signs every 1-2 years due to prices changing. Customer can buy some decals to cover it up for a few bucks... Or a quick edit to the file and reprint on bubblex, Coro or whatever they wanted for a bit more, and their signs look brand new and professional .

I'd say bubblex is your best bet... Nice and smooth, and pretty stable .
That wont warp over time?
Never tried bubble x. Looks like nice material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think your supplier is wrong..... very wrong. If this is anywhere near where the cooking or warmers are..... anything plastic is gonna warp, bend, bow curl, whatever ya wanna call it. I don't know what "infiniti" is, but if you're gonna hang it from that pipe again, you should be using something fairly lightweight, but yet heat resistant. Besides, styrene yellows out in less than 6 months inside.

Be careful.

bannertime

I think your supplier is wrong..... very wrong. If this is anywhere near where the cooking or warmers are..... anything plastic is gonna warp, bend, bow curl, whatever ya wanna call it. I don't know what "infiniti" is, but if you're gonna hang it from that pipe again, you should be using something fairly lightweight, but yet heat resistant. Besides, styrene yellows out in less than 6 months inside.

Be careful.

I believe infiniti is just "clay coated paper foamboard" so probably neither is a good choice.