• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Metal Halide to LED Bulb conversion? I'm lost.

Dovette

Good Morning all you beautiful Signs101-ers!

I've got what might seem to be a stupid question, but here it goes--
I've been in the sign business for a year and a half, and during that time I have learned quite a lot. But the one thing that I cannot seem to understand is the electronic category of all of this. If this is what you excel in, then I give you the utmost respect and admiration for being able to learn such a difficult skill.

Now, onto my question--
I've been searching the internet for the answer to this, but have yet to find it.
What is the LED bulb comparison to a 1000w metal halide bulb?

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but goodness gracious I'm at my wits end here.

Can anyone offer any help?

John Butto

Used a 1000 watt metal halide bulb to expose screens years a go for a single point light source. That thing was huge, bigger than a football, in fact that is what they used years ago at sports parks to light them at night. Google and check to see if they changed over to LED to get that brightness.

CreatedDesigns

Sadly i have never seen a LED alternative bulb that even comes close to the output of a metal halide or high pressure sodium bulb. I have gotten sample lights that would replace a 400w MH light but the cost was 800.00 ea. and only lasted 6 months and burned itself up. Also the light is more directed at the object the light is pointed to and not alot of light spreads out from center very high lumens in the center then quickly tapers off just a few feet from center.

i have a program that lets you type in the light bulb info mount position and it will give you all the information you could ever need on light output.

Baz

All i know is you can grow really nice .... ummmm ... Tomatoes!!! by using high pressure sodium or metal halide bulbs :Big Laugh

MikePro

you may as well be asking how many Solar Power & Wind Turbine units it will take to replace a Nuclear Power Plant.
there's a conversion, HERE, but its just not the same
...round-up/add extra units, as it is better to over-do than have an unhappy client with a HUGE bill and a dim sign. we're mainly LED these days, but still have an in-house Neon shop and still use MH/HPS/HID regularly in large signs that would break the bank, or just not have the same "punch" of brightness, if we tried the same with LED.

side note, from above post, I once grew GREAT :wink:~tomatoes in college with HPS/MH. We tried LED, and it worked too, but it just wasn't the same.