• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Metal & wood cutting machine

VinylLab

Hey Guys,

I'm expanding my sign shop and want to be able to cut metal and wood lettering out of 4x8 sheets. I've searched for similar threads but I don't know what the machines are called so I can't search effectively.

I would like a flatbed type machine that can cut a variety of materials, including wood, plexi, alupanel, .125 aluminum, and plastic, so I don't believe a CNC machine is what I'm looking for. I would need the machine to cut letters, straight lines, and large shapes for sign components.

Do you have any suggestions? The magically combination of affordability and reliability would be amazing. I'm a small shop so I don't have $20k to spend quite yet.

Thanks for your help

J Hill Designs

Cnc router.

not sure you can find one + software (especially if you are looking for 4x8 or larger) for under $20k

I have one that has a 3'x3' cutting area, it works, but the size is definitely lacking

artbot

until you get a cnc (you can pick up an older/stout used shopbot for about $4000) you will be stuck with the basic fabricator's kit.
(small very new looking one http://www.spreadmyad.com/philadelp...bot-prs-honeybrook-pa-x0024-4500#.U5oORCiLJtw)

straight lines (trimming edges of of massive sheets, odd angles, super lightweight materials) --- get a track saw. dewalt and festool are great and expensive. any cut rate
track saw is still a miracle worker.

repeating 90 degree cuts--- table saw, not very effective for large pieces without a giant table but for the 30" and down and ripping strips of material it's perfect.

cutting templates from 3/8" mdf --- jig saw

perfecting/cleaning up templates ---band sander ---makita band sander http://www.waresdirect.com/products...kURL=froogle&gclid=CPTYiaeW9b4CFbRj7AodaB8AEg for

cutting odd shapes --- plunge router, template guide set, sheet of styrofoam

VinylLab

3'x3' machine

A smaller router would actually work out very well. I can't believe I didn't think about that. I would never be cutting letters larger than 3' anyways. Is there a reliable brand and/or model I should be looking for?

artbot

if you are on a limited budget a shopbot is the O-N-L-Y way to go.

i have an ancient one (make of wood!) and it has cost me maybe $40 in 20 years to maintain. i have had to replace dodgy dell computers that don't like the moisture and dust that they are exposed to. but the control box full of spiders, mud dobber nexts, and saw dust has been great. only needs a $1.50 capacitor form radio shack once in a while. plus there's talkshopbot.com. this the "signs101" for shopbotters. these guys know everything imaginable about how to mod and fix these things. also the techs at shopbot will answer questions no matter how old you machine is. there's no way you can go wrong.

check out this one for $4500 4x16
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19815

Stanton

Buy the tool to do the job.

$$$ is not the issue.

If you have a need and a good use for a tool, buy it.
Use it hard and heavy.

Business is not a wait and see game.

player

A 3' x 3' machine may cut all the letter height you may need. ONE letter at a time.

Your material costs would be great because you would not be able to nest multiple letters to optimize material.

J Hill Designs

smaller letters, say 15" and under, can be nested still.

its not so bad.

my software sets up paneling too, so I can cut a shape up to 3'x9'

artbot

i got by with a diy flatbed for years. never investing in a real one. because i "couldn't afford it".

looking back, the tiniest flatbed would have been a huge blessing. it would have allowed me to develop product, do orders that were impossible otherwise, and get clients that i wouldn't have gotten otherwise. despite "workarounds" for small machines, even a small cnc can be a real money maker for a small shop. compared to not having one at all....???? if small is all you can afford go small.

...you want to talk "small shopbot". this one can fit under your bed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1320575205/handibottm-a-smart-digital-power-tool

Stanton

Get the biggest machine your bank and market will allow.

Don't stand there three years from now wishing you would have
bought better.

Signs is fun, business are money.