• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Might want to rethink buying roland...

amw

Longtime Members
We have been loyal Roland users for about 13 years, but that counts for nothing. Called to ask what should be a simple question and they want a payment to give any help. When we bought our EGX-400 from them we were told LIFETIME tech support over the phone. That was never the deal, they changed that at some time...not really right. Never needed any help before, called 2 other times over the years with no trouble getting answers and NO mention of email only support or wanting to charge anything for helping. Called to ask how to change the "Z axis up" clearance on Engraver or in 3D Engrave and told they cant help me without paying. So 2 printers and an engraver (with chip vac, braille kit, and engravelab) i guess isn't loyal enough to them.

They now only offer lifetime email support...that should only take a week to answer my question. I will try it and maybe I will be wrong, but not looking good. I was told "I will have to spend some time drilling down thru the software to figure that out. Which implys that it will take a while. I will try that I guess if I need be.

Normally we use Engravelab, but cant for right now....so using the ROLAND Supplied software,
Here is my issue....

While Rotary engraving 2 ply engraving plastic (.020), the engraver makes a "cut" in the plastic and then goes to the highest z it can...then all the way back down to the material to make another small cut, then back up to the highest z axis. This is making things take sooo much longer then it should. When I set the z down position it works fine. Then z up position on the engraver, it just ignores it. So I am figuring it must be in the 3D Engrave (Roland software) settings. Looked through the help sections and find nothing helpful. So anyone know how to make the z up only move about 1/4" off the material.

(I know it can be done, just no idea what to change)

Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you for your help!!

amw

Longtime Members
Yes that is Roland in CA that I talked to and said have to pay for phone support. Engraver was bought from them, printers were not (No local engraving dealers in our area, at least when we bought it 6 or 7 years ago).

We have been loyal Roland users for about 13 years, but that counts for nothing. Called to ask what should be a simple question and they want a payment to give any help. When we bought our EGX-400 from them we were told LIFETIME tech support over the phone. That was never the deal, they changed that at some time...not really right. Never needed any help before, called 2 other times over the years with no trouble getting answers and NO mention of email only support or wanting to charge anything for helping. Called to ask how to change the "Z axis up" clearance on Engraver or in 3D Engrave and told they cant help me without paying. So 2 printers and an engraver (with chip vac, braille kit, and engravelab) i guess isn't loyal enough to them.

They now only offer lifetime email support...that should only take a week to answer my question. I will try it and maybe I will be wrong, but not looking good. I was told "I will have to spend some time drilling down thru the software to figure that out. Which implys that it will take a while. I will try that I guess if I need be.

Normally we use Engravelab, but cant for right now....so using the ROLAND Supplied software,
Here is my issue....

While Rotary engraving 2 ply engraving plastic (.020), the engraver makes a "cut" in the plastic and then goes to the highest z it can...then all the way back down to the material to make another small cut, then back up to the highest z axis. This is making things take sooo much longer then it should. When I set the z down position it works fine. Then z up position on the engraver, it just ignores it. So I am figuring it must be in the 3D Engrave (Roland software) settings. Looked through the help sections and find nothing helpful. So anyone know how to make the z up only move about 1/4" off the material.

(I know it can be done, just no idea what to change)

Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you for your help!!

Hello Amw,

Our apologies for any miscommunication about our support policies/warranty. Regarding your question, we can confirm for you that the Z origin is not set properly. To set the Z origin, you need to use the Z up and Z down arrow on controller. You'll need to move the spindle down a bit, until it is right above the material, then hold down the Z origin button and then you'll select "Z0" to set the origin. That should work.

For more details about setting up the machine properly, we've published a "Setup Guide" and you can view it online here: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/d...vices/manuals and guides/egx-400_600setup.pdf

If you continue to encounter difficulties, we can talk with you on the phone, but we don't want your private info made public. So to provide us us your private info, please complete our online form and we'll coordinate with you offline (go here: Product Support Form | Roland). Please include the engraver serial number and a reference to this post in the "questions" section of the form (that will allow us to continue the conversation).

Finally, if interested, you can view full details about our warranties here: Learn about your Roland device's warranty | Roland DGA

Thanks and take care,
Roland Technical Support
rn

amw

Longtime Members
Hello Amw,

Our apologies for any miscommunication about our support policies/warranty. Regarding your question, we can confirm for you that the Z origin is not set properly. To set the Z origin, you need to use the Z up and Z down arrow on controller. You'll need to move the spindle down a bit, until it is right above the material, then hold down the Z origin button and then you'll select "Z0" to set the origin. That should work.

For more details about setting up the machine properly, we've published a "Setup Guide" and you can view it online here: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/d...vices/manuals and guides/egx-400_600setup.pdf

If you continue to encounter difficulties, we can talk with you on the phone, but we don't want your private info made public. So to provide us us your private info, please complete our online form and we'll coordinate with you offline (go here: Product Support Form | Roland). Please include the engraver serial number and a reference to this post in the "questions" section of the form (that will allow us to continue the conversation).

Finally, if interested, you can view full details about our warranties here: Learn about your Roland device's warranty | Roland DGA

Thanks and take care,
Roland Technical Support
rn

I would not have asked if it was that simple. I usually use engravelab and those settings work fine, as well as in your Dr Engrave software. When using your Roland software 3D Engrave it IGNORES the setting that has been set as the z2. It keeps the setting that has been set as the surface (z0) but ignores the setting for z2. That means the tool raises up about an 1.5 inches and then lowers back down that same 1.5 inches on every up/down stroke. This wastes a ton of time. I only want it to raise about .20" or less to keep the time down as much as possible. It HAS to be a setting in that software. The only settings 3D Engrave does NOT ignore are, xy origin point, and z0. Everything else is coming from the software, engraving depth, spindle speed, xy speed, and z speed.

CanuckSigns

Vision is no better, we had an issue last week where the machine would randomly not send jobs to the engraver after working fine for 30 minutes.

Called vision tech support and was told they needed my credit card number before they would even speak to me. I've never needed to use the tech support during the first 2 years, but now when I need it they want me to buy a $300 phone tech support contract.

Also when I was under warrantee I needed a new power switch for the machine, they told me the part itself was free, bit I had to pay shipping, which was $80!! Told them to stick it in the regular mail as I didn't need it right away, they wouldn't.

Ragnabrok

Pissed around with an EGX a few months ago, so going off rough memory.

Check your tool options, there are Z height adjustments in there.
Are you doing auto-z nosecone engraving, or the Z- from Z0 style?

amw

Longtime Members
Thank you. I just got tired of trying to get it to work. Roland was no help via email either. So i just took another PC and loaded Engravelab on it to get stuff done. I just have to use 2 computers for the engraver. 1 to run Engravelab and the 2nd one to run the Roland software on. The driver for Roland takes over and doesn't allow engravelab to access it. It is a know issue....just would think someone would have wrote up a workaround the end user could use (instead of wanting to keep charging to do it when people get new computers). I have no issue with the makers of engravlab, the issue is a Roland problem. They should have drivers that play nice with other software. Also better training provided with engravers....we got nothing.

To answer what you asked. No, not auto z. We are setting the z 0 and want to set the max raised z position (z2) so the tool does not raise so far up before moving to the next place to engrave. It wastes a ton of time. Something we engrave using Roland software takes about 20-60 mins...engrave lab takes about 2-8 mins. This is with the same setting, just in engravlab z2 is set to about .1 inch above z0 and Roland Dr Engrave is set to the same everywhere i can find a place to set it and it ignores that and goes to about 1.50 inches above z0.

Bert Wondervan

You can use e machine in any Windows version. Windows 10, 8, 7, WinXP. You need good software for this.
I have the software that you need for this machine. Let me know if you are interested.

Connie Fry

Hello Amw,

For more details about setting up the machine properly, we've published a "Setup Guide" and you can view it online here: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/documents/departments/technical services/manuals and guides/egx-400_600setup.pdf

Thanks and take care,
Roland Technical Support
rn
I called roland about a service call message (0103) and was told to talk to my dealer. They charge $300 for that little gem. While I was setting up payment another screen came up for vivant or something like that. Turns out they charge $39.99 for a service to get ebooks. I quickly cancelled, but wonder if others are getting scammed.