• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki cg 160fxII Firmware file

Daveygz

I just purchased a Mimaki cg-160fxII from a private party. I couldn't get my finecut, Illustrator software to send a file to the plotter. It is communicating with the plotter just won't send a cut file. I spoke with Mimaki and they said I needed to do a firmware update. They took it no further than to recommend a local dealer who I called, left a message and days later, still nothing.

All I need is a link to the correct file so I can download it, and install it. Anyone have a clue??
Thanks in advance..

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Firmware shouldn't have anything to do with FineCut working or not working. I would suspect that there is a setup issue. When you go into the FineCut settings and then the communication tab, does the machine's serial number show up in the USB drop down menu? If not, it is not seeing the connection. You have to have the Mimaki USB driver installed for it to work as well. Also, it may sound stupid but it happens to the best of us, make sure the machine is in remote mode or it just won't cut anything.

As far as firmware goes, they don't really publish that file for easy download. I as a dealer don't even have access to it because we have never sold that machine. They really keep things locked up unless we actually sell the equipment. That being said, if you email their support email, they might just send it to you if you ask nicely. You will also need the firmware update tool which I am not legally allowed to send to you unfortunately. Fortunately, that software should be floating around the internet somewhere. Try Google or maybe someone who doesn't have a non-disclosure agreement with Mimaki on Signs101 can help you out.

Daveygz

Thanks for the info. When I press the test connection it comes back successful. I am using a Mac, not a pc. With finecut v8.7. It has an option to upgrade firmware but without the file i can’t do anything. Mimaki told me it was a firmware issue.

Remote is on. Do they have a usb driver for Mac? I didn’t see one on the downloads on the site. I thought it was set up as well but stepping through all the info I could find and following it to the letter and I still get the same error. I will try to get a hold of my local dealer And see what I can get done there.

I appreciate the info for sure!! Thanks

Daveygz

Update. Okay the Mimaki rep gave me a big boost and resolved my issue. On my Mac, I am running finecut v 8.7 - my cg160fx had version2.0 software. He updated that version On my plotter to v3.0 and now both the Mac and the cgfx are working together perfectly. I appreciate your assistance.