• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki cjv30-130 not reading registration marks

flag store

We purchased a mimaki jcv30-130 about a month ago and it prints Great. But when I remove the media and laminate then return it to the printer to cut I have a hard time making the machine find the registration marks . On short prints I do not have this problem but when I make longer runs (12'-20') it has a hard time finding the registration marks. What's even more frustrating when I have the printer is local mode it will find the marks but then when I switch to remote and tell the printer to cut, it then can not find the marks.

Any help would be great!

daveylee

Here's what I found

I had exactly the same issue with my Mimaki. I went into the mark detect settings on the printer and set the line size to 1.02 inch. You also have to make sure that you select the right crop marks on the printer to match those that you are printing. I was using Corel to produce the graphics and I set the crop marks to be the regular square maks as per my settings (type 2) on the mimaki. I made the lines 1.02inch (26mm) long and heres the important bit I made the lines 0.7mm thick.
I ran the print then laminated and after 2 days of pain trying to get to the bottom of this, it worked. The tech guys had me doing everything but this simple solution - Common sense prevailed - I hope this helps.

JM4Designs

We purchased a mimaki jcv30-130 about a month ago and it prints Great. But when I remove the media and laminate then return it to the printer to cut I have a hard time making the machine find the registration marks . On short prints I do not have this problem but when I make longer runs (12'-20') it has a hard time finding the registration marks. What's even more frustrating when I have the printer is local mode it will find the marks but then when I switch to remote and tell the printer to cut, it then can not find the marks.

Any help would be great!
I know this is a really old post, but did you ever come up with a solution? I'm having the same issue with anything over around 15' long. Right now my workaround is to have 2 separate sets of registration marks so I'm basically cutting twice, in 2 halves. Hopefully you get this!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure to make the crop marks a big as the software recommends. The longer the print, the bigger the marks have to be. Basically, if you are using the same size mark on the 20 foot jobs as the 20 inch jobs, it's going to miss the mark completely. The bigger mark gives the sensor more room to skew.

JM4Designs

Make sure to make the crop marks a big as the software recommends. The longer the print, the bigger the marks have to be. Basically, if you are using the same size mark on the 20 foot jobs as the 20 inch jobs, it's going to miss the mark completely. The bigger mark gives the sensor more room to skew.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the recommended size, which is usually 1.37" on anything bigger than 10 foot. Anything over about 15 foot run, it will read the front two reg marks, but stops an inch or two short of reading the first rear reg mark, then gives an Error 36 mark detect. I have the pinch roller pressure on high for all rollers, so I don't think slippage is an issue. It's very strange. Regardless of the print/cut length, it seems like it stops the same distance from the first rear reg mark whether the job is 15' or 20' long.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Yes, we have issues with long runs too. 12 ft is our max.
Other tips
1. make sure the pinch rollers are set to the same down force
2. Once you think you have it lined up hold your thumbnail at the media edge and manually run the vinyl thru and note any skewing if it's off by more than a half inch, roll it back, undo the roller and rotate ever so slightly then try again.

JM4Designs

Yes, we have issues with long runs too. 12 ft is our max.
Other tips
1. make sure the pinch rollers are set to the same down force
2. Once you think you have it lined up hold your thumbnail at the media edge and manually run the vinyl thru and note any skewing if it's off by more than a half inch, roll it back, undo the roller and rotate ever so slightly then try again.
I also do these 2 things. The print can be straight as an arrow running through, and as I watch from the back of the printer it's right on track to hit that 1st rear mark, then it just gives up. I think we just have a lazy printer.