• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki cjv30 error 202 device construction and print head not firing at all

sdssrr

I have searched many posts and could not find what exactly was the solution...
We havea mimaki cjv30-160 and had a exotic problem ---ink leaked to the main slot where all main ffc cables were sitting in, and the fuse on main pcb blew up. We were using eco solvent ink. We changed all 4 main ffc cables, the cutter ffc cable, got new fuse, and we can start the machine now, but the printhead won't print. Suspect printhead damage, bought new head from an online supplier, which claims the head is genuine mimaki -- which seemed match as it had the green connector. Bought new head cable as well as new head memory, head memory cable (all separately). Put the new parts in, start the machine and getting a error 202 device construction. Bypassing that, machine started initialization, and test print gets nothing at all. We were able to pull the ink from waste/pump side so head ink supply is Not a problem. But no matter what, the head just does not fire. No other errors beside that error 202. The head supplier insistst it's a genuine head and even gave a head ID.

Basically We changed head FFC cables, changed head, changed head memory cable, head memory -- everything twice as we bought a new set of things so we tried to change back and forth between our old parts and the newly-bought parts. (We did test slider board, main board and they seemed to test fine.) Now the error 202 is always there. After bypassing it, the printhead is initiating and moving etc., but not firing at all. We can suck the ink from below the cap station, so we know the printhead allows ink flow and ink supply is fine. But there's absolutely nothing printed. Mimaki tech thinks there's either cable connection problem or head problem or other board - slider board, main board etc. That's just a long list without any definite answer and they said the only thing they can do is to keep replacing all parts one by one. Basically they say they do not know what to do. They suspect our head cable was not good even though it was new but was not original from mimaki and did not have pre-folded lines neatly and had to be folded creased a bit. And they ordered a new head ffc cable to start with. They are coming next Monday to install it.

Anyone has similar problem that would help to shed light on this? Very frustrated we had spent a month and thousands and not getting a result. Thanks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
99% of the time error 202 means the head is not genuine. In fact error 202 is specifically designed into the printer to spot non-genuine heads. Also, genuine heads come with the head memory chip already installed so if you had to purchase the chip separately, the head is definitely not genuine. Very rarely the error might be caused by a cable not being properly installed or there might be damage to the head but I have only seen it happen once.

sdssrr

Are you saying most printheads sold online are not genuine although they claim to be? Here's one that is without memory http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/mimaki-jv33-jv5-print-head-m007947-1.html
I have read many claims that they work for jv33. As cjv30 has the same head, we bought the same - supplier also said it is compatible with cjv30.

Ours is just look like this. We heard if the connector was green and it's mimaki head. Cause we have seen similar ones with black connector and that we were told to be epson heads and at different voltage. But ours has green connector and looks same as our old head.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It may be a genuine Epson DX5 head, which the JV33 and CJV30 machines use a modified version of, but it would be misleading to say it is a genuine Mimaki head. A genuine Mimaki head always comes with the memory chip and has the head rank data on it so the head rank sticker and chip head rank should match. Epson has made great efforts to modify their heads so that they only work in the machine they were intended. So even though all DX5 heads are exactly the same internally, they are modified to only work in specific machines by Epson. The head you bought is a DX5 head that does not have the proper modification to be recognized in a Mimaki printer. To get this print head to work in your machine you would most likely have to downgrade your firmware to a very old version for it to recognize it which should have been in the description of the part in my opinion. It's a common issue and digi-print supplies should know better.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Here are some pictures of how a genuine Mimaki head comes packaged. This is one we had in stock and unopened.

Outer box has sticker with part number and serial number on it
attachment.php

Inner box is a clam-shell type container that actually holds the head
attachment.php

The head it self has the memory boars with Mimaki's logo on it and a black cap on the bottom of the head to protect the nozzles.
attachment.php

If your's didn't have any of these things, it's not from Mimaki.

Attachments

• MIMAKI-HEAD.jpg
    MIMAKI-HEAD.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,716
  • Mimaki-head-2.jpg
    Mimaki-head-2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,592
  • Mimaki-head-3.jpg
    Mimaki-head-3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,766

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
What firmware version is you machine running? If above version 2.30 boot the machine into the parameter change mode or boot it into the mode where the service menus are enabled. Go to Parameters, custom, and change the value of custom parameter #76 (should currently be RESERVE) to 47. Reboot the printer and see if it starts working.

sdssrr

Thanks for all help. Just to report back for future reference, we have finally fixed the printer after changing all FFC cables again and also changed a new slider board from Mimaki. So the printhead did work and it was the other parts connected to the printhead that was at fault. By the way, the first set of FFC cables were bought from 3rd party OEM and the tech measured and said one pin out of the 4 cables were having somewhat higher resistance than it should. We had to buy a new set as Mimaki doesn't sell just one cable. Anyway we are just thankful that it works now, compared with the printer being down for a month, paying a couple hundreds for Mimaki cables is a no brainer. Next time we would just pay the mimaki price and save us all the hassle. Thank god the printhead we bought is good.

Thank you.

kensign

HEllo,
Could i ask where you could get the new slider board and ffc cable and the price, where to purchase a fair print head
thanks

eesanopi

What firmware version is you machine running? If above version 2.30 boot the machine into the parameter change mode or boot it into the mode where the service menus are enabled. Go to Parameters, custom, and change the value of custom parameter #76 (should currently be RESERVE) to 47. Reboot the printer and see if it starts working.

Same problem in a V6.0 JV33, I did this recomedation and it's working now, I'm very happy, thanks to you.

Regards

Edgar

kjbarrett

This method fixed my machine the other day with a suspected Non-OEM Head, It does have the green connector however. If I can only find the Firmware for 5.7, I am looking to gain access to the MAPS anti banding feature.