• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki CJV30 - Print head troubleshooting...(solved)

KenMan

Hi,

After cleaning and flushing the print head with Mimaki cleaning fluid and a syringe, the CJV30 won't print at all.

So before I order a new print head, I just wanna be sure that the print head is the problem, and that its not a initial set up problem after removal or some connection issues. The reason of my doubts its that all nozzles are "gone". If they been damaged by the flushing (seals?) I assume that some of them still would work...?

There is no error messages and the printer starts up and act normal, except for that the printer head don't drop out any ink at all on test prints...

When I installed the print head, one of the FFC (flat cables) was not inserted correctly, and a few contacts on the cable was slightly bent with a few scratches. I switched power on before I noticed this. Not sure if that had any impact on the print head. I installed new cables to the print head but still the same result.

I have done" INK FILL UP" and run several test prints - still no ink coming out...

I have checked the contact plate between the print head and head mount plate.

I have also measured the COM line between the print head and the Ink Slider PCB according to Maintenance Manual 5.2.2 Checking Damage of the Print Head (picture). It should be above 10M resistance, and I´ve got from 17M to 0L on TP6-TP13...I assume thats ok and no shortage...?

There is a red LED lightning on the Ink Slider PCB that I could not find out what it means (picture). Is it normal with this LED on or does anyone know was it mean? Could not find anything in the Maintenance Manual.

Does anyone know if there is some more tests or settings that could be done to verify that the print head is "fried" or damaged or how to test if its ok?

Do I need to "set up" the print head some way in the system menus when it has been removed...?

I would really appreciate som help and maybe someone could bring up some ideas or suggestions...Thanks...

Rgds
/Kent

Attachments

• 4A41E9FB-66F0-4C1E-B581-E2CD16E21F92.large.JPG
    4A41E9FB-66F0-4C1E-B581-E2CD16E21F92.large.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • IMG_4624.JPG
    IMG_4624.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 1,190

Neil

When you do your ink fill up or cleaning, are you getting ink through the head and into your cap station?
If not then there's a problem with the cap/head seal.
You could probably verify if the head is firing by injecting some ink into it then test print.

KenMan

Good point, Neil... thanks.

I don't think the ink is passing thru the head at all on fill-up or cleaning. The wiper and head is still clean with no ink residues underneath at all after ink fill up.

I'll try to inject some ink and do a test print... not really sure how to inject the ink though? I guess I have to do it manually in some way...? Could I use a syringe an suck ink from a damper and fill it into the head... or is there an easier way to do it...? I'm just a bit afraid to damage the dampers or getting debris into the head nozzles...

Just remembered that there is a initial fill up procedure in the manual (picture), but that includes some pre fill-up solution cartridges that I don't have... can I do this anyway with ink cartridges only...?

I have just done the ink fill up from the maintenance menu before...

Attachments

• IMG_1095.PNG
    IMG_1095.PNG
    370.6 KB · Views: 1,349

Rayd8

Hi KenMan,

Maybe a fuse is broken due to attaching the printhead cables not firmly? if no ink at all is flowing that could be the case?
I don't know with Mimaki's but at least with Mutoh's that's most likely the case.
if you have a service manual, you can check where this fuse is located and if she it simply detachable without soldering?
HTH,

Thierry
Hi,

After cleaning and flushing the print head with Mimaki cleaning fluid and a syringe, the CJV30 won't print at all.

So before I order a new print head, I just wanna be sure that the print head is the problem, and that its not a initial set up problem after removal or some connection issues. The reason of my doubts its that all nozzles are "gone". If they been damaged by the flushing (seals?) I assume that some of them still would work...?

There is no error messages and the printer starts up and act normal, except for that the printer head don't drop out any ink at all on test prints...

When I installed the print head, one of the FFC (flat cables) was not inserted correctly, and a few contacts on the cable was slightly bent with a few scratches. I switched power on before I noticed this. Not sure if that had any impact on the print head. I installed new cables to the print head but still the same result.

I have done" INK FILL UP" and run several test prints - still no ink coming out...

I have checked the contact plate between the print head and head mount plate.

I have also measured the COM line between the print head and the Ink Slider PCB according to Maintenance Manual 5.2.2 Checking Damage of the Print Head (picture). It should be above 10M resistance, and I´ve got from 17M to 0L on TP6-TP13...I assume thats ok and no shortage...?

There is a red LED lightning on the Ink Slider PCB that I could not find out what it means (picture). Is it normal with this LED on or does anyone know was it mean? Could not find anything in the Maintenance Manual.

Does anyone know if there is some more tests or settings that could be done to verify that the print head is "fried" or damaged or how to test if its ok?

Do I need to "set up" the print head some way in the system menus when it has been removed...?

I would really appreciate som help and maybe someone could bring up some ideas or suggestions...Thanks...

Rgds
/Kent

Rayd8

If all dampers are full than the head should at least spit some ink, more so when your flush test is pitting cleaninsolution with a syringe. My guess: fuse is broken if no ink flow whatsoever...
Thierry

I don't think the ink is passing thru the head at all on fill-up or cleaning. The wiper and head is still clean with no ink residues underneath at all after ink fill up.

I'll try to inject some ink and do a test print... not really sure how to inject the ink though? I guess I have to do it manually in some way...? Could I use a syringe an suck ink from a damper and fill it into the head... or is there an easier way to do it...? I'm just a bit afraid to damage the dampers or getting debris into the head nozzles...

Just remembered that there is a initial fill up procedure in the manual (picture), but that includes some pre fill-up solution cartridges that I don't have... can I do this anyway with ink cartridges only...?

I have just done the ink fill up from the maintenance menu before...

Neil

I'll bet that your head isn't seated properly. You think it went in right, but it didn't click into place as it should.
Then you don't get a seal around the cap, no suction through the head, no ink in it to even get a visible test print.
You need to pull it out and re-seat it ensuring it clicks in all the way down.

Yes, you can use a syring to inject ink into the head. You need the small hard type of tube to fit inside a damper to draw ink through, and the larger soft type of tube to fit over the nipples of the head.

You should also open the cart valves before sucking ink through.
Function/Test/Ink Cartridge/Cart Valve. Press up or down to open/close individual carts.
Use this method for all channels if you need to fill your dampers. Just hold your dampers upright and draw ink into each one till all or most of air is out.

KenMan

Hi KenMan,

Maybe a fuse is broken due to attaching the printhead cables not firmly? if no ink at all is flowing that could be the case?
I don't know with Mimaki's but at least with Mutoh's that's most likely the case.
if you have a service manual, you can check where this fuse is located and if she it simply detachable without soldering?
HTH,

Thierry

Thanks, Thierry

There is a fuse actually. According to manual it will show an error massage if its broken, but I will doublecheck that fuse.

Thanks

KenMan

I'll bet that your head isn't seated properly. You think it went in right, but it didn't click into place as it should.
Then you don't get a seal around the cap, no suction through the head, no ink in it to even get a visible test print.
You need to pull it out and re-seat it ensuring it clicks in all the way down.

Yes, you can use a syring to inject ink into the head. You need the small hard type of tube to fit inside a damper to draw ink through, and the larger soft type of tube to fit over the nipples of the head.

You should also open the cart valves before sucking ink through.
Function/Test/Ink Cartridge/Cart Valve. Press up or down to open/close individual carts.
Use this method for all channels if you need to fill your dampers. Just hold your dampers upright and draw ink into each one till all or most of air is out.

Maybe thats what happens with the head... I am on travel now and will check that tonight when i am home again.
I have a new cap if it's the capseal, but I will check that the head are in place first, and then I will fill all dampers thoroughly...

Thank you very much, I will update as soon I have done those checks...
/K

KenMan

Thank you, Neil...:)...Ink is flowing through the print head now... a new cap seal did the trick...

I first injected one nozzle with ink according to your description, and then I've got som kind of flow on that nozzle... then I noticed that the cap seal was quite dirty, hard and worn and somehow a bit deformed. So I changed the cap seal an did a "normal" cleaning and INK FILL UP from the maintenance menu, and voila...:D... all ink colors were start flowing on the next test print, with som minor gaps from a few nozzles. Did get better after another head cleaning... maybe som ink had been dropped down in the head and clogged after my initial cleaning and efforts to get it running...

I'm pretty sure that this bad cap seal has contributed to the clogged print head in the first place...due to poor cleaning...

I was so close to give up and order a new print head...... but now it's dropping ink again...
So thank you very much, really appreciate your help......:)

Brgds /Kent

Neil

Glad to hear it Kent!

It doesn't take much to get a bad seal. I always look when doing a cleaning to make sure I see ink pool in the cap, and ink deposit on the wiper to verify that is has actually pulled ink through successfully. Always cleaning and inspecting around the cap top and under the head.

KenMan

Good tip... I've done my cleaning round the head and wiper, but I haven't payed so much attention to the cap and its sealing function...:)...will be more aware of that in the future...

Once again thanks...

Neil

You know, your old head may still be okay. If your cap was that bad, it would have prevented it from getting a proper cleaning cycle.
Just like with your new head - no ink getting pulled through.

I would flush the old head with cleaning solution and store it...

KenMan

Well, maybe I wasn't so clear, but it was my old head that I cleaned that I didn't get to work... but thanks to you Neil, it now works again.
Your tip helped me through so I didn't have to by a new one...:notworthy:... but I was so close to give up on the print head and order a new one earlier last week...

Yeah, now I realise that the problem with the cap was the root cause of the clogged nozzles from the beginning...
Did som additional built-in head cleaning today and more and more nozzles are coming back... I am so happy right now :thumb:...thanks!

gandafly

Hello, I have this problem in my mimaki cjv150, have done, hard clean, ink fill up hard, and 3 nozzle wash, and still the same problem... The left M and C channel can't print...

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_173637.jpg
    IMG_20181217_173637.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,466