• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV30 service manual or videos?

booshworks

Having magenta fall out (again) and have done the following:

1. New ink cartridge (previous one was on 2%), pulled the low cartridge, felt like there was plenty of ink.
2. 99 minute nozzle clean/soak
3. Overnight nozzle clean/soak
4. Normal and Hard cleaning
5. Checked the wiper blade, was fine, still replaced it
6. Fill Up Ink (3 times)
7. Checked printhead, no ink clogs visible

I haven't done a damper replacement on this machine before, but I'm pretty technically savvy (been maintaining HP wide format machines for almost 20 years, was a certified tech in the early 90s).

I checked YouTube for videos -- none on the CJV (or JV33) on damper replacement. Checked eBay for the service manual -- none. Also no service manual on Mimaki's site (naturally).

Anyone have links to either of these?

Also, is this something I should just bring a Mimaki tech out to do the first time and follow along?

Our CJV isn't a profit maker for our shop, it's more a toy, so I'm not too concerned over the problem, but it would be nice to get her printing beautifully again.

booshworks

For what it's worth, all of the dampers seem to have ink in them except for the left magenta damper, as shown in the attached photo.

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 562

4R Graphics

The dampner change is easy all you do is pull the top off of the dampner where the line is screwed on you will see little tabs squeez them and pull once you have that off just pull the dampner off the head push new dampner onto head and put the top with the ink line back on then you need to fill the dampner up with ink best way is to pull the dampner out of the head put a syringe in the end of it and pull ink (best to do it with the dampner upside down) once the dampner is full of ink put it backon the head and do a fill ink or a hrad clean and you should be good to go.

Oh almost forgot there are electronic locks on the ink line so you need to open them up to fill the dampner with ink there is a way to do it through the menu but forgot where. maybe someone else can tell you or you can do like I do (I have the housing off that covers the inkcarts) I ust prop the little locks open with some swab sticks pull ink the pull them out.

I have almost evrycover off my machine as I prefer to see and beable to access stuff right away but we also do a lot of wholesale work. so time is money for us.

Search the forum for "JV33 bible" Artbot posted it up a while back it is the manuals service tech and user for the JV33 but the CJV series is basically the same.

moyica

I have a JV33 and have run into the exact same issue and have done the exact procedures that booshworks has.

1st The cap head was replaced. (Magenta was still dropping out after a few days.
2nd The pump was replaced. No Change. Still had only 3/4 of magenta nozzles firing.
Between doing this the standard head cleanings were done as well as 99min washes etc.
3rd I replaced the dampers of each of the colors that werent firing correctrly exactly as researched on threads as well as similar machines on you tube etc.

I have also readjusted the cap station to be sure the seal was good when in home position.

Now I have completely lost the heads of each of the colors I replaced the dampers on.

I obviously believe I have done something incorrectly even though not sure what and not sure where to go from here.

The dampers are all about 3/4 the way full so I think I have air in them.

Is there any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Masseria

if dampers are 3/4 full, they are fine. try absorbing ink through cap station doing the pump job.
you can do this by closing one of the 2 exit tubes an absorb through the other one.

if not working then is other problem.perhaps something clogged. but to much dirt for all nozzles color clogged looks like pressure trouble.... if i were you i'd absorb with low pressure like i said before.

In my opinion you should check artbots jv33 bible thread (sticky thread) and download the file with all the information.. there is something called mimaki project or something like that. there are many videos in how to replace stuff, even a printhead....

moyica

Thanks Masseria, I have tried manually pulling ink through the bottom of the cap station and it doesn't pull much from the left tube.

I do believe to have clogged nozzles as well as a pressure problem. I have someone coming to take a look at the machine Wednesday.

I will take a look at the bible post again and see it there's something useful.

booshworks

Surprisingly, I am the one currently hosting the JV33 bible on my google account and completely forgot. So I pulled open the JV33 service manual and it does indeed cover the CJV30.

A few things I tried last week:

1. I ordered 3 new dampers and a new capping station top.
2. I pulled off the left-most damper (magenta), opened the ink valve in the service menu, and pulled a little ink through carefully with a fresh syringe. Also swabbed the printhead with cleaning solution.
3. I ran 2 "ink fill up"s, a normal head cleaning, test print: failed.
4. I decided to do a nozzle wash overnight (filled up the damper, parked the head, hit the hard power switch)
5. In the morning, I ran another normal clean, test print: failed.
6. Did another 2 "ink fill up"s, another printhead swabbing, another normal head cleaning.
7. One more overnight nozzle wash.
8. In the morning, ran another normal clean, test print: left-most magenta was perfect!
9. Dampers and capping station top arrived, but instead of tossing those in, I decided to run one more normal cleaning, plus I swabbed the head with cleaning solution. Test print: near perfect!

I am going to swap ALL the dampers this week, along with the pump and the capping station top. I'm betting my dampers are probably not working perfectly, or the head isn't making solid contact with the cap top, or the pump isn't working perfectly, or all 3.

The print nozzles were not firing for over 2 weeks, and now they're firing fine, so it looks like this printhead is a little more capable than I had feared.

I called Advantage Sign Supply and they got back to me instantly (props to Jim the sales guy). They have a deal for around $1200 which is a full swap of dampers, pump, and preventive maintenance, but it's out of my budget for that department. Since the Mimaki is not a profit-maker for us (no one sells products from it EVER), and since I paid next nothing for it, I figure I can learn on this one before I upgrade to a 54" model in winter.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Masseria

if you dont have a lot of work to do, or in queue. And printhead is still bothering you. (you can do this in a weekend) and dont want to waste money replacing some parts that maybe there is no need to replacing them.

I would do the following: (i've recovered many parts even printhead doing this process)
1)
Take out the printhead, and leave it in cleaning solution for 1-3 days. (you will se how ink comes out from it (this is ink with dirt that stays inside the printhead, and is larger than the nozzle so it cant get out). replace the solution when there is too much dirt. PIC 1.2.3.. A plastic taperware with cleaning solution on it. Dont fill too much because there are some electronics inside the printhead(also outside) So it might break it if you drown it...

Then i'll also send cleaning solution through the upperhead (dampers connections), with a sryinge. and also absorb. (sending through makes nozzles to repair themselves(fire straight, and clean), and bringing cleaning solution back, make dirt come out from the inside) remember that 1 hair, is bigger and thicker than a nozzle, so if some dust, or 1 hair, or anything gets in the ink and inside the tubes going through the damper filter until the head. it'll remain there, bothering your test draw and prints.
Always finish the process sending cleaning solution through. so there's a remain inside of cleaning solution and no air.(repeat these process in all colors)

2) Clean Cap top station (complete) there are 2 or 3 screws attaching the captop station to the machine. You can take this out and clean it with just water or some cleaning solution. these will extend its lifetime and also make better cleanings. I also recomend to take out the right sponge in cap station and leave only the captop. (this is because these spongs sometimes absorbs to many liquid and when the printhead touch the area, it leaves some drops on the printhead, and make testdraw or prints looks like if nozzles are clogged).

3) clean tubes and dampers with cleaning solution. To do this. Fill a cleaning solution catrdige, and put it where the ink catridge are. 1 at a time so you dont need many cleaning cartrdiges.
Then you open the valve where the cleaning cartidge is located and start absorbing through the damper.
This will clean damper filter, and clean all the machine tubes. if you are leaving the machine for 10 days stopped without printing its highly recomended to do this. So tubes dont get clogged and also extend entire machine life.

This way you'll spend more cleaning solution and ink but not replacing parts.
I check everything before replacing.

To check cap station. Put the printhead on the cap station until is touching.(carriage out function)
Absorb through one of the 2 pump tubes(replacing pump job), the other tube you must be sealed it with a piece of tube and a plastic seal on it, so ink cant go down. Then you'll se that cap station makes a good seal with the printhead. Try to separate them moving the printhead to the left, if its hard to separate them, then cap top is good.

To check pump, open front cover in cleaning area. Make a hard cleaning.
If pump tubes moves/vibrate then pump is working good.
Also try to hear strange noises inside(because pump is mechanic and might be something broken in it)

Hope i helped you.
Any thoughts just ask.

Sorry for the english.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:

booshworks

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if a good printhead soak would enhance longevity. For us, what is the most important thing to do is just print every day. Since we don't really sell prints for our Mimaki, it's rare that it gets daily usage.

Hopefully when we get our 54", we can start selling more on the 24" as well. It's just a frustration since our sales team barely knows the Mimaki exists.

booshworks

so you solved it?

The problem is solved for now, but I'm not sure if I solved it.

I received 8 new dampers and haven't installed any of them.

I receievd 1 new cap top, and haven't installed it.

I received 8 new cleaning cartridges, they're also still in the box.

I did use about 24% of my ink in all the cartridges doing the fill-up and cleanings. So far, the nozzles all seem to be firing except once in awhile in the mornings I'll get some lost nozzles -- a nozzle wash for 20 minutes seems to clear it up.

We'll see how it holds up; I'm trying to get the CMYK department to use the printer daily even if just for sample packs or freebie stickers for our garment customers.

Masseria

8 cleaning cartridges.... thats insane... why dont you recharge them? i use 3...

Well anyway, if you need any other help just ask!!

Good luck!

moyica

So I finally received my new pump and OEM cap top. I replaced them but now that it has sat for so long with only routine maintenance. I am having no luck getting my test print back. I am not getting anything from any of the colors :(
I have ran a 99min nozzle wash 2 fill ups and a manual flush on 1 damper to see if I could get that one to work. No Luck.
It prob needs the a total head soak as you show above Masseria but the JV33 Bible doesn't have the procedure to remove the head. It references a video that inst included.
Any recommendations?

Masseria

So I finally received my new pump and OEM cap top. I replaced them but now that it has sat for so long with only routine maintenance. I am having no luck getting my test print back. I am not getting anything from any of the colors :(
I have ran a 99min nozzle wash 2 fill ups and a manual flush on 1 damper to see if I could get that one to work. No Luck.
It prob needs the a total head soak as you show above Masseria but the JV33 Bible doesn't have the procedure to remove the head. It references a video that inst included.
Any recommendations?

if test draw is complety blank.. attach a picture of Dampers so i can see the charge of them and tubes... if they are empty, tubes might be clogged and dont let ink go to the printhead. if they are 1/2 full they are fine, may be some air in the ink, but you should be able to print with some missing nozzles...
Also might be something electronic like Printhead Cable, (it doesnt send the printhead the information of which color to shoot. or to even fire...

i'll wait for the pics.

moyica

So after doing manual cleaning trough the top of the head I was successful at getting all the heads back but black :(
I am dumbfounded as to why only the black inst firing now but the rest are perfect. I the same procedure on all the nozzles.
What now.

Masseria

Repeat proccedure but only in the black... then make hard pressure to the back nozzles until the cleaning solution comes out like a straight rain after 2-4 secs of this and no ink on it...(You'll have to make too much pressure). Then absorb... backwards to take all dirt inside the printhead, (this is because the nozzle is tinyer than a hair. so dirt will be stuck there..and finally make the last push and make it rain again...

connect damper and try.. if still doesnt work might be damper problem / tube problem...

if cleaning solution comes out there is no way that ink can't...

hope hearing from you soon.

moyica

Thank for all your help Masseria. I have done what you have said and then did 2 ink fill ups and now running a 99min nozzle wash. I got 1/4 of the nozzles firing. I replaced the damper also. Is there anything else to be done to be done to get this thing fully firing.

Masseria

If you have checked that, dampers have ink and no/low bubbles quantity. And you also have checked these on the tubes(conect cartridges with dampers)... i'll do the following steps, and make several fill ups through the captop...(opening valves and replacing pump job), Also attach picture of the test draw if you are able to print part of it.... if you want some help to do this i can make step by step for you... but i got no more camera(stolen smartphone)...so only words...

if it doesnt work do this:

have you tried this?

You must do step by step if you want to try to recover a printhead or make it work again...

moyica

I have done the things that have been listed above. I still get an inconsistent pattern of black ink fires from the black nozzle. I have attached a picture of what it was this morning before and after a nozzle clean. It actually got worse. I am getting more cleaning solution in today and am going to run it manually through the head again to see if that clears it up.

Attachments

• 20121022_110335.jpg
    20121022_110335.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 414
Last edited by a moderator: