• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JFX200-2513 Height Check System Halt(2) 441:Headheight Wrong

Susan Stewart

Good morning! I'm in need of help. We have a Mimaki JFX200-2513. This morning when I was getting set up to run, I did a height check like always. While it was doing the height check everything looked normal at first. The pin comes down and tries to measure the height. Then the pin goes up and the carriage goes down further all the way down to where the heads are touching the media. It began to make a loud mechanical noise. Then the display flashed System Halt (2) 441:Headheight Wrong. I have a maintenance manual, but this system halt is not one of the ones that are listed in the manual.
I shut down the power, and then turned it back on. I tried another height check and the same thing happened. I have included a video. I'm not sure what to do from here.

FYI, we are not under warranty with Mimaki.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnm6zmp416z1167/IMG_5056.MOV?dl=0

Attachments

• IMG_E5059.jpeg
    IMG_E5059.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 750

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That system halt was added in the most recent service manual. Basically the sensor and encoder that actually determines the height have failed and need to be replaced.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Without knowing any better, I'd clean the head height sensor/scale first and then the material pin sensor if it has one.
I've seen other mimaki carriage just going all the way down and crashing if the height sensor is dirty.

Susan Stewart

We did already clean the pin and around the pin that measures the height before I made my original post. Yesterday everything was running fine. I ran parts all day.

About an hour ago,we tried to measure a substrate that was thicker, and it measured that just fine.

Then I tried a height check on a material I run all the time. It usually measures 1.4 mm consistently. Today it is measuring 1.0. Is there a way to re-home or re-zero the table?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah I don't mean the pin itself, the mechanics that run and measure the pin position is what I mean. Inside the carriage.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You could try running the Z origin sensor adjustment in service mode but the fact that it's coming and going seems like the encoder and sensor are either dirty or failing.

Susan Stewart

Update:
We did order a sensor and a z linear encoder scale. Before we replaced anything we cleaned the z encoder pretty good. That appeared to work. We have been running and doing height checks for the past 2 days with no issues. Now we have the spare parts on hand if needed.

Thanks for the help. I think this forum is awesome. I gather a ton of useful information from here.

I sorted it! i took off the cover and there is a vertical encoder strip to the left at the back. Took it out, took the linear scale off the brackets, cleaned it with IPA and reassembled. Works a treat now!

Yes remove the carriage cover, if you look to the left at the back you can see the vertical encoder strip, its only a couple of screws to get it out, take off the sensor first then the strip. use a magnetic philips screwdriver as you dont want to drop it in as it will be tricky to retrieve if it lands in the wrong place. if i get chance later i will take my cover off and take a photo

CORsigns

Yes remove the carriage cover, if you look to the left at the back you can see the vertical encoder strip, its only a couple of screws to get it out, take off the sensor first then the strip. use a magnetic philips screwdriver as you dont want to drop it in as it will be tricky to retrieve if it lands in the wrong place. if i get chance later i will take my cover off and take a photo
A photo would be fantastic! I'll watch for it. Thanks so much!