• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Jv150-130

Warhog42

Looking at trading my Rolland xj 540 in on a new Mimaki jv150-130 with 8 color eco solvent orange and light black. Anybody have this Mimaki. And what are there thoughts. Getting a great price on it due to fact have had nothing but problems with Rolland. Dealer seems to be giving me a great deal

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

equippaint

We bought one in dec. Our comparison was an sp300v so this was a good step up.
Weve had no problems with it at all. It boots fast, is a little slower checking media width when you first load it but not bad. It doesnt run through a cleaning cycle when it turns on like our roland did which used to make me mad, especially if I had to reboot.
We were going to go with the lc,lm,lk but were quickly talked out of it. The color range imo is better than our roland was, it does way better on grays so Im really happy that we went dual cmyk instead. It cuts a little slower than our roland but has been more accurate if thats even a fair comparison to make considering the age of our roland. I like the mimaki media clamps better too and not having an annoying front cover on it. The transition from vw to rasterlink was easy and was my biggest worry. Now I prefer RL over vw except for consecutive numbers, vw makes that real easy. Id do it again and have no regrets.

Warhog42

We bought one in dec. Our comparison was an sp300v so this was a good step up.
Weve had no problems with it at all. It boots fast, is a little slower checking media width when you first load it but not bad. It doesnt run through a cleaning cycle when it turns on like our roland did which used to make me mad, especially if I had to reboot.
We were going to go with the lc,lm,lk but were quickly talked out of it. The color range imo is better than our roland was, it does way better on grays so Im really happy that we went dual cmyk instead. It cuts a little slower than our roland but has been more accurate if thats even a fair comparison to make considering the age of our roland. I like the mimaki media clamps better too and not having an annoying front cover on it. The transition from vw to rasterlink was easy and was my biggest worry. Now I prefer RL over vw except for consecutive numbers, vw makes that real easy. Id do it again and have no regrets.
Thanks for info. I have a Mimaki plotter so went with print only. And was told go with orange and light black. My Rolland needed a head so seemed like time. I was a little concerned leaving vw. Since I know it

jfiscus

Rap Master
Check out the new Epson series printers, fastest speed available & same day lamination with eco-solvent inks. We have switched from the JV3 series Mimakis to the Epsons and love them.

Warhog42

Thank you. But have Mimaki Rolland dealer in town and they are good to me. So would rather stay with eaither

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would recommend the Mimakis to anyone as a tech. They are solid machines. I would suggest that you go with the CMYKx2 setup however because it is the fastest setup and the light colors and orange do not help with anything. Maybe it's just me but I have seen the output of each setup that has been professionally profiled and you can't tell the difference. I looked really hard at the oranges and grays and saw absolutely no difference. The DX7 head is capable of firing dots in a way that simulates what the light colors do by diluting the ink by just firing smaller dots. The orange is the color I thought would make the biggest difference and I was pretty disappointed when I saw the results. Literally no difference. I'm sure a color expert with some equipment could tell the difference but at the end of the day the cost (slower speed and more ink to buy) outweighs the very little, if any, difference in color output.

Warhog42

I would recommend the Mimakis to anyone as a tech. They are solid machines. I would suggest that you go with the CMYKx2 setup however because it is the fastest setup and the light colors and orange do not help with anything. Maybe it's just me but I have seen the output of each setup that has been professionally profiled and you can't tell the difference. I looked really hard at the oranges and grays and saw absolutely no difference. The DX7 head is capable of firing dots in a way that simulates what the light colors do by diluting the ink by just firing smaller dots. The orange is the color I thought would make the biggest difference and I was pretty disappointed when I saw the results. Literally no difference. I'm sure a color expert with some equipment could tell the difference but at the end of the day the cost (slower speed and more ink to buy) outweighs the very little, if any, difference in color output.
The machine is set up for 8 ink. So would metallic and white be better?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The machine is set up for 8 ink. So would metallic and white be better?

I never recommend white and silver to my customers. I have 2 customers who insisted on that setup and within a year both came to me asking me to change to a different setup. Even though the Mimakis have re-circulation pumps to keep the white and silver from coagulating and clogging up the machine, most people don't use it enough and the head clogs anyway. If you are not using it everyday, you r machine will clog. I recommend using the CMYKx2 (2 cartridges of each color for a total of 8 slots) setup for two main reasons. 1. It's faster than all of the other setups. and 2. when one cartridge runs out of ink, the printer just switches to the second one giving you plenty of time to order another cartridge to replace the empty one while still printing.

Warhog42

I never recommend white and silver to my customers. I have 2 customers who insisted on that setup and within a year both came to me asking me to change to a different setup. Even though the Mimakis have re-circulation pumps to keep the white and silver from coagulating and clogging up the machine, most people don't use it enough and the head clogs anyway. If you are not using it everyday, you r machine will clog. I recommend using the CMYKx2 (2 cartridges of each color for a total of 8 slots) setup for two main reasons. 1. It's faster than all of the other setups. and 2. when one cartridge runs out of ink, the printer just switches to the second one giving you plenty of time to order another cartridge to replace the empty one while still printing.
Thank you

We too jumped at the chance to get this printer at a great price. For several years we had no issues but we are starting to see wraps fading within a years time. Particularly reds and are suspicious of the orange ink. Little to no support from mimaki so far. 11 years in business and we’ve never had this happen on our Roland. We’ll never buy another mimaki.

Had a truevis, now I have a cjv150, the machine work perfectly, it doesn't go through a cleaning cycle every time you boot up, instead it 'refreshes' hourly, consuming one drop of ink every now and then. (overall ink waste is the same as truevis's). Ink is cheaper, the machine produces fantastic colors, very happy with it. On the other hand mimakis Rasterlink is garbage compared to Versaworks. It's not that you cannot use it - you can, but it's ugly and slow and freezes some times and so on, you cannot RIP if the machine is turned off.

Compared to CMYK : orange has effect only on skin tones, so you need it only if you print portraits, on the other hand Lc Lm (not Lk) make s a huge difference when you print grays or gray gradients. Don't even think of silver or white unless you know exactly why do you need them.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
I have a Mimaki CJV150-160 with CMYK. Got it in January 2018. We’ve put it to the test and like it. Only complaint is the slow setup but Once it’s running it’s awesome.

Also have an old Roland SC545EX that runs well and pretty reliable. It’s old but I can’t seem to part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfiscus

Rap Master
What epson do you have?
The one that we have that REALLY prints wraps fast in great quality is the 60600; dual-cmyk. Nice solid vibrant colors like our Mimakis used to print.
We can print a full roll in around 2 hours.

We also have the 70675, but this other printer blows it away. We purchased the 70675 thinking we'd make use of the metallic and silver inks, but we've only ever used the white a few times and never used the silver. It prints a roll in around 4 hours. The orange ink fades in around a year, so use the profiles without orange ink if you have one of these.

Quark

Merchant Member
The one that we have that REALLY prints wraps fast in great quality is the 60600; dual-cmyk. Nice solid vibrant colors like our Mimakis used to print.
We can print a full roll in around 2 hours.

We also have the 70675, but this other printer blows it away. We purchased the 70675 thinking we'd make use of the metallic and silver inks, but we've only ever used the white a few times and never used the silver. It prints a roll in around 4 hours. The orange ink fades in around a year, so use the profiles without orange ink if you have one of these.

do your installers prefer to install epson eco prints or latex? Realistically, how soon would you dare to laminate a rich black print off of epson? thank you

jfiscus

Rap Master
do your installers prefer to install epson eco prints or latex? Realistically, how soon would you dare to laminate a rich black print off of epson? thank you
Our installers are fine with either. They have more of a preference with vinyls than inks.

Realistically, a really rich dark blue should wait til the next day as long as long as you have the time. It seems that blue is the worst color; worse than black.
Loosening the vinyl on the roll to allow the solvents to escape is also important. We built a small downdraft booth from when we were running full solvent inks here that really speeds up the drying process. We usually laminate the next day, but for almost all prints a couple hours is fine off the S60600.

We had major color issues off of our latex 360 we had, and after fighting it for 6 months and getting lied to we decided to sell it.

Quark

Merchant Member
Our installers are fine with either. They have more of a preference with vinyls than inks.

Realistically, a really rich dark blue should wait til the next day as long as long as you have the time. It seems that blue is the worst color; worse than black.
Loosening the vinyl on the roll to allow the solvents to escape is also important. We built a small downdraft booth from when we were running full solvent inks here that really speeds up the drying process. We usually laminate the next day, but for almost all prints a couple hours is fine off the S60600.

We had major color issues off of our latex 360 we had, and after fighting it for 6 months and getting lied to we decided to sell it.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Quark

Merchant Member

Did you ever consider using an infrared heater with your 60600?

GSM903

I brought a jv150-160 a year ago and it's been awesome! I went for the 8 colour set up and haven't been disappointed.
I ran Roland's prior and spent a fair bit of time behind a hp latex.