• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki jv150-160

rdmdarr

Bought this printer new about 2 months ago and completely frustrated with who I bought it from. The other company in town who can work on it, is usually 2 weeks out on getting a tech out. Hes good, thats why its this long...

Heres my problem:

Double CMYK printer and when one of my inks run out of ink, it stops and wont keep printing until it gets replaced. Was told when I bought the printer that it would switch to the other new cartridge and keep printing, so you could replace the used one and not slow down. Basically could print non stop, this is not the case. It completely stops and won't do anything until the used one is replaced..

Pretty sure its an easy hardware fix and the guys who set it up, didn't set it up right.

Experts, how do I fix this?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you are setup with the CMYKx2 configuration, it should just automatically switch to the other cartridge. The only reason it should not work is if the second cartridge is expired, empty, or just not installed. Take a look at the lights above the cartridges. There should be blue lights above the cartridges the machine is currently pulling from and then the other lights should be off completely. If any of the lights are solid red, that means they are empty, expired or not installed. If it is blinking red it means it is close to empty or close to expired but should still work. What does yours look like?

rdmdarr

1 black is red, the other black is blue. screen shows 65% on the good black. all the inks expire end of 2018.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As long as the blue light is on over at least 1 of each color, it should let you print but 1 of the black being red means it won't switch over.

rdmdarr

The machine thinks the black is empty most likely. Take it out and shake it to be sure there really is ink in it. If there is, you may need to get a new chip in order for the machine to recognize it as full. Sometimes the sensor that tells the machine it is empty get's bumped and will falsely believe it is empty.

I thought the same-thing and switched them. it switched the inks on the screen, so I know its reading the chip on the good ink. The good ink does have ink in it, the other one is empty.

It did this when my cyan ran out 2 weeks ago, as why I was thinking it was a hardware issue. (baffled)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Has it ever switched over automatically on any color? If not, it has to be an install issue or maybe a firmware issue. I have installed maybe 40 of these machines and not one has ever failed out of the box when it comes to that feature. Are you using a bulk system or 3rd party ink?

rdmdarr

Bought this printer new about 2 months ago and the guys that came out were green to say the least. We havent ran alot of ink through this printer since we bought it as we was having color issues with it, but pretty sure its been doing this on all the inks.

I have been waiting for the other tech from the other company to come out, he came out last week and spent about half a day going through the machine updating firmware and such. My dumbass forgot to mention the inks problem...

the company that sold me the machine is sending out a different tech tomorrow morning, if he can't fix it, going to call the mimaki office in Irving and see if one of their techs can fix it over the phone. Can't wait weeks for the other guy...unless you can fix if over the phone, can paypay you some money...

equippaint

Take the cover off behind the ink and make sure the joints are set right. They should be jumped together (1-2, 3-4 etc) for dual cmyk. There's a diagram and instructions for it in the installation manual.