• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV22-160 I/F Board Error 20

tosnc

Hi.

I have a problem with my Mimaki JV22-160 plotter.

Ever since I got it, I'm getting random I/F Board Error 20 errors. On the manual here's the explanation for this kind of error: "Improper operation has been conducted on the operation panel".

Here's my setup:

PC: Pentium Dual-Core 2.60ghz 32 bit 2GB RAM with Windows 7 Home Premium
Plotter: Mimaki JV22-160 plotter
RIP: SA International PhotoPRINT DX 6.1v2 (build number 1465)
Firewire card: Nilox NM-045 (10NXAD0804002) PCI Express

I tried changing the fireware cables and switching the ports but it didn't work. Also tried changing the Windows Firewire drivers to LEGACY, to no avail. One thing I noticed is that I get this problem with the bigger formats; usually when I print 70x100cm I don't get it.

Should I try installing Windows XP? Or could it be a problem of the plotter only? Would replacing the I/F Board with a new one help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Redz Signs Inc.

i have the same problem with my jv3 160sp and it seems like when you do to many operstions at one time or out of order like if your in a hury it happens . i turn it off and back on and its fine . stoped rushing and doing things out of order hasent happened agian

tosnc

Hi Redz Signs

Does it happen to you while you're printing though? That is my major problem. It usually happens while I'm printing: both the plotter and the computer freeze randomly while the plotter displays this I/F board error and I have to reboot the computer and turn off/on the plotter. It's a problem because I have to print the remaining piece and attach the two pieces with adhesive, which is very time consuming.

Also, it happens while I print normally, without any rushing on my part.

Redz Signs Inc.

this is from the matiance manual also if you computer goes into sleep mode or hibernation this will cause it to cause this error make sure that your computers your using do not hibernate in any way . i had that happen to me just go into power settings and select to never.

ERROR20 I/F BOARD

• A error occurred in
communication between the​
main PCB and the interfaceboard

1) Replace the I/F PCB with a
new one.
2) Replace the main PCB with a
new one.
3) Replace the I/F connection
board with a new one.
4) Supply power to the 1394 PCI
board in the PC through the
power cable.​

tosnc

I had already disabled all the power settings in the computer (I even disabled the monitor power-off and the screen saver). But the error is still there.

Anyway, thank you for giving me the info from the manteinance manual. I think it could be helpful. I also think replacing the boards will cost some money and work though. The only easy solution seems to be the fourth one:

4) Supply power to the 1394 PCI
board in the PC through the
power cable.

I will try it.

Thanks again.

tosnc

Damn. I did that but nothing changed. The pesky I/F BOARD error persists.

Now I'm a bit out of options. Nevertheless, I found another topic here in this board that maybe could help. It doesn't refer to my plotter specifically but it seems a communication error like mine:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-57236.html

In particular I found this:

Check what version of Firmware you have on your IF Board (Not Main Board) in the printer. I believe it's found under MAINTENANCE => INFORMATION => VERSION. If it's at 1.4 or below this could be your problem.

Also, Error 10 is a "Command Error" so could indicate that the RIP Software is actually sending bad data - There may be nothing wrong hardware-wise.
I actually checked my IF Board firmware and it's version 1.4. How do you upgrade the firmware though? Can I do it myself through the PC or a tech is needed?

Also, has anyone tried using the parallel cable instead of the firewire? I have never used it because I think it's too slow - has anyone had success with that one?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also keep in mind - the JV22 is essentially the same as a JV3 just not for solvent inks. IF 20, 21, 22 errors are well known to also be a sign that the firewire interface board is starting it's final death throes. This is a board inside the printer and they are well known to eventually fail - not if, when. This might very well be what you are facing.

As far as upgrading the firmware - it's a bit of a technical process. Not a 1 click deal like updating your Dell computer bios. If you do it wrong - you printer is a giant paperweight. Additionally Mimaki does not make the firmware nor the firmware update tool publicly available just for this reason. You have to first boot the machine in it's parameter download mode then back up the machines parameters, then boot the machine again but in it's firmware upload mode and update the firmware, then reboot it again and restore the parameters. The instructions are in fairly ambiguous engrish.

tosnc

Hi SightLine

I see. It may be the case since my plotter is second-hand, and is more than 5 years old. Do you happen to know if the firewire interface board inside the plotter can be replaced, and at what cost? Are we talking specifically about the "I/F" Board here, or other boards? In the former case, I found this, for example:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/102719/0-385676246/Mimaki-IF-board-for-JV22-JV4-JV3.html

Is it a good deal?

As for the firmware, I won't try it after what you've told me ;) I'll see if I can find a tech to do it, in the case.

Thank you.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yes - the board can be replaced and often repaired as well. MacMedia repairs the board. That little one you linked is in your machine but thats not the actual board - thats what attached the firewire board to the mainboard. This is the actual firewire board http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/102719/0-385682291/MIMAKI-1394-board.html

I cannot vouch for that company though - never done business with them. Firewire boards typically are close to a grand or about $500 for a used one.

This is MacMedia's repair service.... http://cgi.ebay.com/Mimaki-JV3-JV4-...259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6538d3f3

Many of us have used them at one point or another over the years. They show mainbaord repair in that link but they also repair the firewire boards.