• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Mimaki JV33-130 Y-axis motor (scan motor) NOISY

jayrace

Hi, does anyone have any experience of oiling the y-axis motor on the Mimaki JV33-130 - ours has got quite noisy but wondered whether oiling rather than replacing would or could be an option

brightbanner

i like vivid color
Hi, does anyone have any experience of oiling the y-axis motor on the Mimaki JV33-130 - ours has got quite noisy but wondered whether oiling rather than replacing would or could be an option

you can oiling the bearing, but never oiling the motor.
if you can ensure it is problem of motor (not bearing), best choice is $300 get a new one with one year warranty.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You're probably looking at a new Y-axis motor soon if you can hear it starting to go.
However, first make sure the carriage bearings are lubricated and the rails are clean and lubricated. That will reduce drag on the motor.
I believe there is also a bearing/pulley that can go bad on that machine and cause drag on the motor. It is slightly less expensive than the motor to try first, but also not that easy to replace.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
What kind of noise are you getting? If it is a screeching noise while the motor moves the print head, it is most likely a bad pulley, improper belt tension and or a dirty, non-oiled Y rail. If it is a groaning/humming sound while the motor is idle, you can adjust the idle voltage in the service menu to fix that issue.

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
In most of the cases the noise sourse is a Y motor. You can actually replace the bearings inside of it, ofc in case you at least have some experience.

Don't listen to that guys, you should NEVER apply any on a rail directly. You can add some to the inner chamber of the liner bearing but be be aware that it's pretty challenging. But also, regarding to my contacts in SKF, there is an oil inside the linear bearings that should last about 5 years at least.

How old is your printer thou? If it's 5y+, then it may will be a good idea to replace the Y motor, pulley and linear bearings as for preventive maintenance purpose.