• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki UCJV300-130 - Pinch Roller Positions

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
UCJV Owners...What is the common thought process when choosing how many pinch rollers you're doing print/cut. I'm noticing that on 50" oracal 651 that I'm getting a lot of buckling when loading and the head drags. I can deal with that to an extent by advancing the media further down the front so that it smooths out somewhat. Using 4 pinch rollers - all set at low pressure.

On my old JV-33 I didn't have this issue. I would use the minimum that I needed to get the job done, but I had a separate plotter that I cut out prints with.

When I go to print and perf cut on the UCJV300, the amount of buckling gets so bad as it approaches the right side of the machine, that I get a media strike that shuts down the job.

What have others found that works best as a "rule of thumb"? Also, since 651 is designed as a sign vinyl and not specifically for digital printing, could it be that the liner is thinner and causing issues? I thought that may be the case but Briteline did the same thing with their 3 mil vinyl that has a 90# kraft liner.

Thanks in advance!

RonnyCrack

Not sure if you figured it out, but I use 6 pinch rollers generally on my ucjv300-160, ends set to high pressure, middle ones set to low. Try setting the ends to high if you haven't already?

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Are you using FineCut? When it comes to cutting on Mimaki, everything can be controlled. Does it do the kiss cuts, the perf cuts or the trough cuts first? I what order? The way you build your cutfile layout has everything to do with the order in which thing cut. It can all be controlled and previewed in FineCut.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I've only had my UCJV for about 11 months, but I find it doesn't like a thin material for cutting. If you keep some scrap vinyl on the take up roll, you can pull it out and tape it to the new vinyl. This will reduce the wrinkles when cutting. If your printing something that doesn't require the take-up roller which I often do when printing stickers, I print about 8.5" to 11" of material at a time, and I don't sheet it right away, I print about 3 or 4 sets until it's almost touching the take-up roller, then I sheet off the bottom row, just with a knife or scissors, or a separate sheeter if you have one. The added weight of the dangling vinyl helps keep down the wrinkles on thin material.

Also, in the first 2 or 3 prints, if you notice any wrinkles in between prints, lift the handle and straighten out the media again, once you have enough weight you shouldn't have to worry about wrinkles anymore.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ask your dealers about the Mimaki UCJV300 Modification procedure to increase the vacuum power. It's a known issue on this model and they have a kit to improve the vacuum performance.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Ask your dealers about the Mimaki UCJV300 Modification procedure to increase the vacuum power. It's a known issue on this model and they have a kit to improve the vacuum performance.
You can also put some masking tape over the vacuum holes not being used, maybe not as good of a solution, but it helps in a pinch.