• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Product modular LED panels

brentjosker

So i went out and did some research on LED screens, i came across 1 x 2 modular LED panels. I have so say they are pretty nice. All self contained power supplies recieving cards, cooling fans, ect ect ect. They gave me a self contained async control box, software included. All i have to do is fabricate an aluminum frame and whammo i have a double sided 9.5mm full color screen with wireless for under 8000.00 . i will never go back to reping for optec or watchfire or anyone of those guys again.
Oh i forgot to mention i got 2 extra panels for a replacement/warranty type situation. Needless to say i have had it outside running it to death with no issues.
Has anyone had other experiences with off brand LED screens? I was thinking about branding these as my own they are so nice
Oh yeah i forgot to mention the panels are only 7 pounds each.
Only draw back is i can inly offer my customers screen sizes of 1foot x 2 foot increments. Thoughts?

visual800

here is my experience via another sign company. A local small university wanted 2 large screens, we quoted Watchfire. Another company used chinese knockoffs and they of course won the job. a couple months later we would ride by and half screen be black and then later that company would be out there working on it. Couple weeks later both screens doing erratic stuff, company back out there again. I am not lying to you this went on for several months and most sign guys arond here knew about it and would text "updates" to everyone else seeing them out here working on them.

Well one day screens went black and stayed that way for a while. Ill be damned if that company didnt replace those screens because they left the old ones stacked on side of building. Same ole story back out here all the time on the new ones. the copnay finally stopped going out there and the university was calling other companies to come out and service it

This is a true story, do what you will but we quote watchfire and if they dont go with us good luck to them, its just not worth it

signage

If you are manufacturing an LED sign are UL certified, what will happen if you go out of business will another sign company be able to work on get parts, are you supplying a schematic with part number for future service.

brentjosker

If you are manufacturing an LED sign are UL certified, what will happen if you go out of business will another sign company be able to work on get parts, are you supplying a schematic with part number for future service.

Yes if you want to say that in a sense, they are UL listed parts, when i sell the screens extra components and panels are given to the end user, there is virtually no downtime with these darn things, well none im aware of. The actual manufacture just opened a repair facility in texas. I dont see myself going out of business anytime in the future. These things have a 5 year warranty just like watchfire and just like watchfire 5 years later i had service repair on 3 locations for watchfire last week. These things arent meant to last forever but at the price difference between mine and watchfire is HUGE.
It seemed for years the profit margin for led screen has been slipping and slipping and now with the new product its like fish in a barrel.
The panels are only 2-1/2." Deep, so i can retro fit existing cabinets with screens, town allowable of course without having to ask for more sq footage especially if the client is already at their max. Or if the existing sign is near the ground clearance allowance ect ect
Im trying to weight outthe pros and cons but i do see your point of potentially going out of business and not fulfilling warranties, any ideas how to accomplish this or put my customers worries at ease?

signage

Assembling a sign cabinet from UL listed parts doesn't make the cabinet UL approved! If you do not proved supplier name and part numbers and also have these signed UL approved I don't see hao you can put customer at ease, in my area all signs need to have to be UL approved.

brentjosker

Okay agreed. I guess you arent catching what im throwing. The 1 x 2 panels are self contained self powered all n one...ul listed..all i am doing is plugging them into one another

GB2

Old Member
Brent, what else did you find in your research? Which one did you chose and why did you chose this panel over others that you looked at?

brentjosker

Brent, what else did you find in your research? Which one did you chose and why did you chose this panel over others that you looked at?
I found that there are different levels of LED diodes. Some from china some from japan and some from Taiwan. I can order what ever brand that i want, the better the LED the better the warranty they give me but higher the price, but in comparision still cheaper then anything you can get stateside. They are very bright i havent had any go backs or burnt out LED's yet. I chose the company im dealing with because they are multi continental, they are a very large and repitable company, i get on the spot engineering help on panel questions and software, the panels are plug and play and easy to take apart and service if needed, the panels are front and rear servicable and weather proof. The software is freeware and upgraded ever year and it doesnt cost my customers a penny, the async controller work with my Ubiquiti loco 5 wireless. The software is super simple and the functionality is nice, movies pictures, scheduling, ect ect.
If i want to install just a screen by itself just build an aluminum frame, hang it in a pole and attach the panels, no more crane truck to install my screens, if iwant to install them into an existing cabinet just take out the faces build the frame inside the cabinet and slap inthe panels
The manufacturer also just introduced a new cloud based control system you can everything on line or from a cell phone, FREE for the first year. So yeah alot of pros not to many cons from what i can see. Very very stable
Oh just for a instance, 1 panel let say 15mm only uses 156 watts max power, wwwwwhat, sothese things take up less power then our old typical screens

brentjosker

Dont get me wrong i found cheaper alot cheaper BUT these have never let me down, oh i forgot to mention i built 4 rental trailer prior to all this and i best the ever living hell out of them befire i put the current panels into service, i did a few issues with the older panels but it was because i was ordering the panels with the cheaper chinese brand of LED'S. but since I've been ordering the better ones I have had no issues at all

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
here is my experience via another sign company. A local small university wanted 2 large screens, we quoted Watchfire. Another company used chinese knockoffs and they of course won the job. a couple months later we would ride by and half screen be black and then later that company would be out there working on it. Couple weeks later both screens doing erratic stuff, company back out there again. I am not lying to you this went on for several months and most sign guys arond here knew about it and would text "updates" to everyone else seeing them out here working on them.

Well one day screens went black and stayed that way for a while. Ill be damned if that company didnt replace those screens because they left the old ones stacked on side of building. Same ole story back out here all the time on the new ones. the copnay finally stopped going out there and the university was calling other companies to come out and service it

This is a true story, do what you will but we quote watchfire and if they dont go with us good luck to them, its just not worth it

I'm with you, as almost the exact same thing happened to a former employer, except they were the ones going cheap. And when it quit working (for the who-knows-how-many-it-was-time), they tried to get me to fix it (about a month after I'd left their employ). Every time I would drive past the sign, it would have panels out. It now sits dark.
I'm not saying the components you, the OP, purchased will fail the same way, but it's certainly a consideration in the realm of "you get what you pay for."

brentjosker

I'm with you, as almost the exact same thing happened to a former employer, except they were the ones going cheap. And when it quit working (for the who-knows-how-many-it-was-time), they tried to get me to fix it (about a month after I'd left their employ). Every time I would drive past the sign, it would have panels out. It now sits dark.
I'm not saying the components you, the OP, purchased will fail the same way, but it's certainly a consideration in the realm of "you get what you pay for."

Yes you definetly get what you pay for, the only other LED distributors out there where i have never found a oroblem was optec and hyoco. Both really good and both very affordable
And speaking of manufacturers of LED sign, we had one here in Buffalo that went out of business...innovision LED..ended up screwing alot of people, and now we are left scrambling for replacment parts, luckily my supplier in china is firmiliar with all the smaller companies there and she sources all my parts. You can say we have become good friends. She also hooks my up with led border tubing, led lighting fixtures, led modules for channel leters, ect ect
I wished there was an affordable company here state side that could do the same, none exist.

signage

Okay agreed. I guess you arent catching what im throwing. The 1 x 2 panels are self contained self powered all n one...ul listed..all i am doing is plugging them into one another

Yes I do get it, you are the one that doesn't, if you assemble these with multiple units/modules, it still need to be UL. Like I said originally UL parts doesn't make the cabinet UL. Hope nothing seriously go wrong for you or you may be in a heap of trouble installing something not correctly certified by UL.