• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moisture in Cabinet, Vandal Covers

JMPrinting

Having an issue. First of all, this project has been a nightmare. The cabinet was made and delivered to me over 3 week late and I have had my ass ripped over and over for it and they point out every little imperfection now...even asking "will that concrete hold the sign" I am done in.

Anyways, another issue which I get. There is moisture on the inside vandal covers. There are no vents or anything in the sign, the only thing is 2 threaded holes on top of the sign that are maybe 5/16 in size. Not sure why they are there.

Any suggestions to help with this?

Attachments

• 61884045_10216847707418826_5417869951325175808_n.jpg
    61884045_10216847707418826_5417869951325175808_n.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 233

unclebun

If the holes go to something substantial on the inside they are probably for installing lifting rings. If you think it's raining in, put bolts in them. No lighted cabinet is actually sealed. Depending on atmospheric conditions you can get some fogging, but it goes away on its own. If the holes are letting water into the sign, evaporation will lead to more than usual fogging that doesn't clear up quickly.

TimToad

It looks like its mounted to a center pole and there is a little gap at the bottom where the mulch is piled up?

Ask the manufacturer about how much ground contact their cabinets are designed to have. I'm assuming there are sprinklers in the lawn and they might be soaking the mulch which is keeping it too wet.

If so, pull the mulch away from under the sign, add a few more drain holes on the bottom, plug those lift ring holes up top and use gravel or some small decorative rock under the bottom instead of the mulch.

Mulch is intended to preserve moisture and be decorative, but in this case, it's probably leaching moisture up into your cabinet as the cabinet heats up during the day. Having a black cabinet isn't helping on keeping the heat inside down either.

equippaint

I'm with toad. Move the mulch away, it's packed all the way up to the bottom of the sign. It looks like its a solid pile of it which will be warm and damp.

OPENSignsInc.

Pull the mulch back a bit. Put a bolt in the holes on top. Go to lowes/home depot and get 2.5in aluminum soffit vents (they come in a 6 packs and different sizes too). Spray paint them black, drill 2 holes on each of the sides (top and bottom and be careful of wires inside). Then silicone them in place.

Johnny Best

See if there are any weep holes in the bottom of the cabinet and if they are going to keep all that mulch around the bottom, plug those holes up also along with the top ones.