• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mosh needs Help! In more ways than one....

Mosh

Never used HDU before, I cut this logo and plan to paint it with Mathews paint. OR will will any good enamel work? Plan on getting into more of this work and hope to not have to spring for the Mathews for every job.

SignManiac

Interior or exterior application? Depending on which one, you have multiple choices in paint finishes. These days, I'm using more and more, premium quality latex house paints. Safer to work with, and last as long as enamels, if not longer.

iSign

I use latex too. A lot of the walldogs are switching from enamels to NOVA colors, which I used this past weekend on HDU & was happy with the look and feel, as well as the numerous veterans with years of successful outdoor use.

Porter paints are also a tried & true sign latex that some serious players in the industry (Gary Anderson, Raymond Chapman, etc) have been using outdoor on HDU for a decade or more. Porter was bought by Pittsburgh Paints, who has relatively easy access to tech support direct from the chemists... who told me their Manor Hall has an equally suitable formula. I can get the PPG Manor Hall right around the corner, but would have to ship in the Porter, so I've been using the Manor Hall with good results for 2 years so far.

econolinesigns

We use latex for this type of job. The nice think is that the client can repaint the letters later one when needed with paints they can get themselves. Due to all the wonderful air quality and paint storage stuff we deal with in CA, most of the time we charge the customer for the paint and send it out the door with them as well.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Good latex primer, then Matthews. If you use a quality paint like Matthews there won't be any "repaints" anytime soon. Not at least in our neck of the woods. Got 10 year old projects out there that still look good.

Letterbox Mike

Another vote from me for high-quality acrylic, preferably Porter if you can get it in your neighborhood. It's proven itself to us over and over, signs 10+ years old still look almost new.

For primer, I really like Sign-Prime from Sign Arts Products (they make SignFoam). It'll probably take two coats but when it dries it gives you a really nice finish. It's sort of thin so the first coat soaks into the HDU quite a bit forming a really good bond to it. The second coat will fill the gaps. A quick sand and you should get a nice smooth paint finish on it. I've tried lots of primers, including Porter's, PPG's, automotive primers, Kilz, Jay Cooke's, and I've yet to find one I like as much as Sign-Prime.

Fatboy

I am always amazed when I see some one sell a job and have no idea how to make it.

Why Marlene...this is how we learn.Sure you were there once or did you just always know? (You probably did)Best way to learn is to jump in and get going.Good thing is that we have people that can help when we get stuck!

Marlene

Why Marlene...this is how we learn.Sure you were there once or did you just always know? (You probably did)Best way to learn is to jump in and get going.Good thing is that we have people that can help when we get stuck!

I'm sure customer's would just love that! no, I think people should learn first and not at the customer's expense. no, I didn't just wake up one morning and ta da made signs. I took the time to learn from those who knew how and then I made signs. jumping in and giving it a try is very unprofessional. most people who ask for help here are in the learning process or working on a bid, not in the middle of a job wondering what the heck do I do now. at that point, a plan should have all ready been in place.

Fatboy

I'm sure customer's would just love that! no, I think people should learn first and not at the customer's expense. no, I didn't just wake up one morning and ta da made signs. I took the time to learn from those who knew how and then I made signs. jumping in and giving it a try is very unprofessional. most people who ask for help here are in the learning process or working on a bid, not in the middle of a job wondering what the heck do I do now. at that point, a plan should have all ready been in place.

With respect(and I assure you I do have respect for your abilities) I think that you might have forgotten how little you knew when you started.I bet you Mosh will turn out a marvelous job .....even if he had to ask for advice along the way.

knifemaker3

Just like you should've planned to read his entire first post. He planned on using Mathew's paint and then simply asked a question. :doh:

petrosgraphics

we have been working with HDU for years, a real good latex primer, we use ben moore

fresh start.... have finished them with ben moore colors, and mathews, with the mathews

i have never had the paint chalk-up after many years of being outside...

just a suggestion, on the face edge of the foam, just lightly sand this, it tends to

eliminate any nicks that might occur...

daveb

General Know-it-all
:rolleyes:I think it may be a gender thing, us guys have a tendency to fly by the seat of our pants or just wing it sometimes. We call it being creative, they call it stupid. That's when they get great satisfaction out of telling us what we should've done in the first place.... or if it does turn out all right they pat us on the head and tell us we got lucky.