• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting ACM panels (dibond) to an uneven wall

nolanola

Hello.
We are installing some 3mm ACM 24" x 24" panels to a wall.
We use VHB 4950 and Lexel and it "slides".
The wall is not even. We tried to put 2 and even 3 layers of double-sided tape to level it.
The client doesn't want us to drill the wall.

Is there a fast curing adhesive we should try?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 365

Terry01

Couple of runs with the Lexel and then just use masking or tac tape to hold it in place while the Lexel sets

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It shouldn't slide if the 3M VHB is stuck to the wall. Try name brand duct tape to hold it temporarily while it bonds.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this outside or inside ??

Why wasn't this discussed as part of the quoting process, so you could tell them, other than physical fasteners, you aren't responsible for people getting in their own way for the important part of the whole process ??

visual800

you could cut some 1/8" or 1/4" squares about 2"x2" and place 4 on each corner, that would possibly help the whole surface of sign miss the wall. Other than that use tape to hold sign while silicone dries...since you now know wall is uneven dont bother wasting vhb on it and always scuff back of sign when placing silicone

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We typically use standard foam tape for installs like that where we are also bonding panels in place. No point in spending money on VHB tape if you are bonding as well. Also much better for uneven surfaces as the foam tape will compress and conform much better than VHB tape. We always keep some 1/8" thick tape just for instances like this. Just need to be selective on where you place tape to make sure it contacts the wall and doesn't get high centered. Normal 100% silicone for bonding.

nolanola

Is this outside or inside ??

Why wasn't this discussed as part of the quoting process, so you could tell them, other than physical fasteners, you aren't responsible for people getting in their own way for the important part of the whole process ??
Inside.

nolanola

We typically use standard foam tape for installs like that where we are also bonding panels in place. No point in spending money on VHB tape if you are bonding as well. Also much better for uneven surfaces as the foam tape will compress and conform much better than VHB tape. We always keep some 1/8" thick tape just for instances like this. Just need to be selective on where you place tape to make sure it contacts the wall and doesn't get high centered. Normal 100% silicone for bonding.
What foam tape do you use?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What foam tape do you use?

You should ask your distributor for 'tapes and adhesives' this question. There are so many kindsa tapes and schmootzes, it ain't even funny. You wanna bond aluminum to paint. That's your basic fact. Uneven block wall and sizes don't enter into your equation yet. It will but first you need the right chemical compounds within the tape..... foam, acrylic and so on.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Lexel is great stuff but unfortunately it doesn't set up fast.

That's really not too uneven of a wall. I've used VHB on worse walls, you just need to take your time and find the high/low spots and stack the VHB where needed.

Since you have the chance to obtain other materials though, I would use the 'industrial extreme' Velcro along with GE Iron Grip, both available at Home Depot. The Velcro is thick and good for conforming to uneven surfaces and the Iron Grip sets up really quickly.

Put the Iron Grip at the corners and around the perimeter and apply the Velcro in a couple of inches (in case people get the urge to pull on the corners/edges of the panels, the Iron Grip will keep it in place).

nolanola

Lexel is great stuff but unfortunately it doesn't set up fast.

That's really not too uneven of a wall. I've used VHB on worse walls, you just need to take your time and find the high/low spots and stack the VHB where needed.

Since you have the chance to obtain other materials though, I would use the 'industrial extreme' Velcro along with GE Iron Grip, both available at Home Depot. The Velcro is thick and good for conforming to uneven surfaces and the Iron Grip sets up really quickly.

Put the Iron Grip at the corners and around the perimeter and apply the Velcro in a couple of inches (in case people get the urge to pull on the corners/edges of the panels, the Iron Grip will keep it in place).
That's what we did today. Velcro + sikaflex.
We glued one as a test.
We'll see tomorrow.
Velcro is a good thing to have in a toolbox.

Thank you!

Pat Whatley

24" x 24" panels and the wall is too crooked for them to stick? How crooked is this damn wall? You should be able to get that to work even if it's an inch off. They don't want you to drill it because they are worried about it collapsing.

nolanola

Update.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 230

nolanola

Ah good, a Happy ending.

Tell us, how did you finally approach it ??
Velcro on the corners + Sikaflex (now I think it could be any silicone). Both from Home Depot.
Velcro has enough depth in it to compensate an uneven surface. And the sticky side of it is strong.

I even called 3M: they said none of the double-sided tapes they produce will work on a "bumpy" surfaces. A lady on the phone recommended adhesives 3M 2216 and 3M 1357. I will try them next time.

Thank you!

Attachments

• velcro.jpg
    velcro.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Agree
Reactions: a77