• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Acrylic Sign Holder Frame to ACM

lkt1954

I have a client that wants several 4' x 6' sheets of ACM with acrylic sign holder frames (like the image below) mounted on them to use as an information board. They do not want the frames mounted with adhesive tape, the want them mounted with screws.
I'm thinking of using well nuts to give them the ability to remove frames if necessary. Once the sign board is complete they will mount it to the wall.
Is there anything better than well nuts to mount these frames with so they are removable?

Thanks

Attachments

• 8.5  x 11 L (1)_800x800.jpg
    8.5 x 11 L (1)_800x800.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 367

Billct2

Nope, clients don't get to tell me how to do a job right. 3mm ACM isn't really thick enough for screws, even 1/4" is thin. So unless you use a different, thicker substrate, like PVC screws wont work.
We have done many of these boards on ACM for a retail client who posts notices in them. We use VHB, two rows where they will be hidden by the paper insert.
If they have to be designed to be removed (don't know why they would) I would use a plastic velcro type tape.

bgraphics

Use aluminum screw posts. They are practically flush on the back. I have used them for mounting acrylic holders to 3mm boards before. You just need to measure thickness of acrylic and board to make sure you get the right depth of screw post.

GB2

Old Member
The screw post is a good idea otherwise Rivnuts would work, even if you had to put them backwards so the wall side would be flush.

lkt1954

Thanks for the help.
I tried well nuts and they will not work, they fit and tighten just fine, but if you take the screw back out they expand back to their normal shape. My concern there is they could fall or be pulled out and lost, creating problems to reattach the holder.
I'll look at the aluminum screw post.

GB2

Old Member
I was suggesting Rivnuts, also referred to as Rivet Nuts, not Well Nuts, try looking at those.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you just tap the alupanel? (heck a machine screw will tap itself) It won't be super strong, but it won't have to be....and you'll need screws that are the right length (ie very short but probably out there).

I agree that d/s vhb tape is probably the easier choice.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Rivet Nuts would work great but the issue is the installation of the panel when you are finished. They stick out the back of the sign so they can't mount the panel flush to the wall. 3mm ACM is floppy, if its not mounted flush to the wall it will be wavy unless you make some furring strips or something. You could make the panel dimesional by turning them into shallow pans with 1" angle returns. They would be much stiffer and the could cleat mount them to the wall so you would have a very clean install and the ability to mechanically fasten anything you wanted to the face.