• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting banners on concrete wall.

BobCap

I have a customer that ordered a couple of banner from us. No sweat got them done the next day.

Now he says he wants them mounted on a concrete block wall. Also no sweat...

But we can't drill any holes because these are only going to be temporary.

Any luck with construction adhesives?

The trick is we have to take them down in a couple of weeks or months. I don't want the adhesive to trash the paint.

Give me some ideas :thankyou:

Bob Cap
AAI Signs
Gilbert, MN

John Butto

tapcons and fill with silicone after you take them down, small hole and you won't even see them after you finished, skyhooks work the best for me

BobCap

Thanks but a rope won't work.

No go on any kind of holes drilled (picky building owner).

Now this mighty putty....hmmmmm.

But will it take the paint off when we take the banner down?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Probably... calmly let the customer know he is wanting some sort of magical imaginary mounting. If there is nothing sticking out of the wall for you to attach to then you have little options. Maybe build a massive wood frame in front of the wall?

S'N'S

I have the exact same problem, the building is being hired while there is a custom car show and its just been painted (absolutely no drilling allowed). The only thing I can come up with is hanging the banner by ropes and making a pocket along the full length of the bottom of the banner and filling with sand to give it some weight to hang down straight. I'm lucky it's only a single story building.

Pat Whatley

Just a warning about weighting it at the bottom. Several years ago I had a customer install a 5' x 20' banner along the roof of their building. They screwed the top into the building and secured the bottom with ropes tied to 5 gallon buckets that had been filled with concrete. The first big wind we had swooped the buckets up and turned them into mini wrecking balls.

fmg

Here is an opportunity to invent the first self floating banner. Failing that sounds like maybe the owner of the building would do best to stand there 24 hrs a day and hold it him/herself.
Best of luck on this job.

John Butto

Whatever method you use, since you are in an area where the weather is about to change and a banner hanging on a wall for a month or two will leave marks from dirt, flapping or whatever. So a couple of holes from the tapcons, filled with silicone or stucco patch will not show as to the other marks. If you find a good way without marking his wall, patent it and you can quit the sign business by selling us the hardware.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The answer is simple. Your customer ordered the wrong product.

Basically, there is no way to attach a banner securely to a building which is subject to wind, rain and all kinds of other elements of nature without doing it with physical fasteners.

Your only mistake was right up front, not to ask what the banners were for, how they were going to be used or how they were to be mounted.

The customer has no clue as to what they are ordering. If I were a customer and sign shop said to me that a banner is a temporary solution and lower in price than a permanent sign, I too would think it could go anywhere without a problem. Now it's become your problem to do what they requested because you didn't butt in and let them know in advance that their project is slightly impossible.

Anytime someone requests a banner, the first thing out of my mouth is.........
Where is it going, 1 or 2 sided and how do you intend to hang it ??

gnemmas

Try this.

Attachments

• BannerFrame.jpg
    BannerFrame.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 643

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Quick question.

Is this just a wall or a building wall ??

How high in the air is this going to go ??

Banner Ups

I have a customer that ordered a couple of banner from us. No sweat got them done the next day.

Now he says he wants them mounted on a concrete block wall. Also no sweat...

But we can't drill any holes because these are only going to be temporary.

Any luck with construction adhesives?

The trick is we have to take them down in a couple of weeks or months. I don't want the adhesive to trash the paint.

Give me some ideas :thankyou:

Bob Cap
AAI Signs
Gilbert, MN