• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Graphics to the Inside of a Pan face as opposed to the outside

Chops

Hello, a customer asked if we could mount the graphics to the inside of their pan face as opposed to the outside. My boss advised them that we could do this but they would have to replace their pan face over some years due to weathering and if we mounted it to the front, with laminate, it would last some time but when it came time to replace it would be less expenisve due to the fact of not having to replace the pan faces. The customer said he did not want his graphics to peel off and bubble.

Anyone ever do this before? Or has anyone have any knowledge of the pros and cons?

Billct2

So obviously this is a clear pan.
Applying graphics to the inside almost always last longer....but
they then have to be backed with white and it is usually sprayed.

Marlene

So obviously this is a clear pan.
Applying graphics to the inside almost always last longer....but
they then have to be backed with white and it is usually sprayed.

it also looks better. what kind of graphics are you putting on that have to have a laminate? is it just lettering or is the entire face covered with color/copy? you might be better off outsourcing to a company that can paint both the white backing and the copy

Chops

We were looking to do a digital print. We were pushing them to put it on the front and lamintating the print. They want gradients and pictures so digital print really seemed the most reasonable for the price. If they wanted the digital print on the inside we would of put it on clear and put white vinyl behind it. We were trying to steer them away from the inside mount because we think that tho the graphics would last longer but we feel the face would become weathered and when they would want to replace or upgrade the graphics the face would need to be replaced as well. If we did the outside mount the graphics wouldn't last as long but the cost to replace the graphics would be cheaper because the pan face would be brand new under the graphics. Am I correct in thinking this?

Chops

Not really sure, we would have probably used vinyl to cover the sides of the pan face and the flanges. I really am looking for some advice or pros and cons on doing the job on the inside or outside. I'm still trying to learn.

Billct2

Simpilist solution. White pan, translucent print designed with white border equal to the slope of the pan, apply to face, install. Make sure the print is done for translucent applied to white material. Personally I sub most of these types of prints, it's important to have them look good day & night.

Chops

I think this got derailed alittle. I have done pan face mounts in the past using digital prints and laminating. My real question is this:

"Is there any real benefit to mounting the graphics to the inside of a pan face as opposed to the front."

I was thinking that if the graphics are mounting on the inside of the pan, the graphics themselves would last longer but the pans would become weathered. So when the customer wants to replace the graphics he would also have to replace the pans. On the other hand, if the graphics are on the front of the pan it would actually protect the pans and keep them in better condition. So when the time comes to replace the graphics the pans would be in an almost brand new condition.

Am I correct in thinking this? Is there any other Pros or Cons to the Inside / Outside thinking?

skyhigh

if the graphics are on the front of the pan it would actually protect the pans and keep them in better condition.

No merit there. That like wearing galoshes every day, with the mindset that years down the road your sneakers will look brand new.

Graphics on the inside will last much longer (and look better). On the outside they will have a shorter lifespan. When its time to remove the "first surface" graphics, don't you plan to charge for the removal? So how much of a savings will there be? What if the graphics leave adhesive? Your customer will pay less if he gets new faces.

Billct2

Inside the graphics will look better and last longer.
So long that reusing the pan shouldn't be an issue. By that point
th eplace will be out of business or ready for new faces.
I guess outside will protect the pan but the graphics will
fade much faster, so this would be the best option for
repeat business.

skyhigh

Hello, a customer asked if we could mount the graphics to the inside of their pan face as opposed to the outside. My boss advised them that we could do this but they would have to replace their pan face over some years due to weathering and if we mounted it to the front, with laminate, it would last some time but when it came time to replace it would be less expenisve due to the fact of not having to replace the pan faces. The customer said he did not want his graphics to peel off and bubble.

Anyone ever do this before? Or has anyone have any knowledge of the pros and cons?

Sounds like your customer has been talking with another sign shop. Customers don't generally know, or care about 1st or 2nd surface apply.
On the other side of the coin, from what you've said, your boss doesn't sound like he knows his a$$ from a warm biscuit.

Like Bill said....what are you going to do with the edges of the pan?? Ohhhh you can wrap them, but how much extra work (which translates into cost to your customer), is that going to be?

SECOND SURFACE
BACK SPRAY.

Only my opinion. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chops

Ok thanks, that is more the point I was trying to get to. So is it standard practice to apply the graphics on the inside? I am just trying to figure this all out. And yes the customer is comparing products with other sign companies.

Edna

Apply second surface to clear pans and them spray with laceryl-trans paint.
Never tryed a digital print that way, Only vinyl lettering. ERR at leest i here that is how it is doon.