• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mounting of acrylic letters

inkuyo

I need some help on how to mount some 1/2" thick acrylic letters to a painted drywall wall. Any suggestions appreciated.

This is a fairly permanent install.

Dale

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I need some help on how to mount some 1/2" thick acrylic letters to a painted drywall wall. Any suggestions appreciated.

This is a fairly permanent install.

Dale

I see this is your first post. Are you currently doing other types of sign work?

Last edited:

Malkin

How big are the letters? Do they already have any studs or other mounting methods attached?

Do you have an exact vector file of the letters and an available plotter?

S

SignTech

all good questions ... studs? pattern? or just the letters?

inkuyo

I see this is your first post. Just curious...but is this your first time doing sign work?

I have been makings signs for a few years. Mostly vinyl applied to substrates though. I have done some cnc cut outs (acrylic), but mostly applied to surfaces using stand offs or screws. I have never had to apply directly to a wall.

The letters and logo will be cnc cut out with colored vinyl on the rear (clear acylic).

S

SignTech

so the vinyl will be on the rear getting the adhesive ...... is that what you are saying?

inkuyo

so the vinyl will be on the rear getting the adhesive ...... is that what you are saying?

That is correct. I thought of just painting the cut outs but that is a little different look but would allow me to hide fasterners easier.

Malkin

Not a whole lot of options for a clean install in that scenario. Seems like I have had trouble with VHB causing a little lifting & bubbles (visible through the clear) over time the few times I have tried something like that. Maybe I was just doing it wrong...

I bet silicone would work well, though 1/2" acrylic could get mighty heavy if the letters are big.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you do get any adhesive to stick the vinyl to the wall, the acrylic will slide off the vinyl over time. Don't believe me, try it.

inkuyo

Not directly overhead, a backwall display. But sure, they could come off. I'd rather not use 3m Tape. I totally understand the weekness of the vinyl so may swing for the painted letters with hidden mounts.

Are there some sort of pins out there that could be glue in the back of the letters then inserted into the sheetrock? That way there is not standoff from the wall?

Dale

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just buy the letters from Gemini. The have several mounting options, solid color or painted plex reasonable pricing. Their paint is automotive grade and gauranteed for life...

Billct2

You're limiting your options with the reverse applied vinyl.
Mechanical fasteners are out.
Anything you use will be depending on the vinyl sticking to the acrylic to hold it up.
I woud thing a sheet type adhesive that could be applied to the entire back of the letter would probably work.
Unless you want to rethink the vinyl on the back part....