• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mounting wallpaper on PVC

mmpjim

Hey folks, I have a property management client that has been sending me 4x8 prints of SAV to mount onto 4x8 sheets of 1/4" pvc. I then glue a french cleat and they hang in various office buildings. This time they sent me 2 4x8 prints of wallpaper. No adhesive. I'd rather not spend the $500+ for a roll of mounting adhesive. Is there another way that I can adhere the wallpaper to the PVC? Will wallpaper glue work?

thanks in advance
js

Last edited:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Seems you answered your own question. Wallpaper requires wallpaper glue, so.....
But honestly, I'd tell them 'these new prints are not what I normally get and if you want me to create the same product, either send on the correct media or send the files and I'll print them myself'.

henryz

Have you tried 3m adhesive spray? we use it to glue butcher paper to acrylic sheets to cut our sign letter faces that we rubbed in the field.

mmpjim

Seems you answered your own question. Wallpaper requires wallpaper glue, so.....
But honestly, I'd tell them 'these new prints are not what I normally get and if you want me to create the same product, either send on the correct media or send the files and I'll print them myself'.
I already did - unfortunately they don't have money in their budget to reprint. These people spent almost $100k with me last year...this year not so much. The question that I should have asked is - will the wallpaper glue adhere to the PVC without any other special surface preparation. Sorry I wasn't clear. (the site that they used to purchase the wallpaper uses licensed artwork and I would not be able to print it myself because of that)
thanks

mmpjim

Have you tried 3m adhesive spray? we use it to glue butcher paper to acrylic sheets to cut our sign letter faces that we rubbed in the field.
I have not used the adhesive spray. I wondered if it would not be a permanent solution (ie, don't want the graphic falling off while hanging on the wall), that said I do have a full can on the shelf and will try it in a small area.
thanks - I should have thought of that.

RISEgraphics

+1 for the 3M adhesive spray. I've used it for a lot of projects, including brick installations, and it held much longer than anticipated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
3M77 or for more sticking power... 3M90. However, with a 4 x 8, you'll hafta work fast. The window for working with this stuff varies with the air, temperature and humidity. Any imperfections will completely telegraph through.

d fleming

I would get some wallpaper adhesive and a sample of some paper from where you get the adhesive and test it. If that was succesfull I would think figure the time it takes versus the time it takes to mount PSA and adjust my price accordingly.

mmpjim

3M77 or for more sticking power... 3M90. However, with a 4 x 8, you'll hafta work fast. The window for working with this stuff varies with the air, temperature and humidity. Any imperfections will completely telegraph through.
I do have the 3M77 and just did a test with MagicPhoto paper (similar consistency as the wallpaper). you are correct..it is messy, dries quickly and once dried, the imperfect spray pattern show thru..looks like little worms in the paper.

thanks everyone for the help. I told her I would do it but no be responsible for the results. I'm thinking of laminating it 1st, to give it some body to help with the install, and possibly alleviate some of the worming.