• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Moving channel letters

hcardwell93

I am completely new to channel letters, so I want to put out some feelers about a potential job before I wind up over my head.

My pediatrician is considering moving her practice and they want their sign to go with them. The shield is 1 piece, "Fully Amored Family" is on a Safeway seperate from "Health & Fitness" and her name is on an additional raceway.

Roughly how heavy would each unit be? Is this something 2 guys on ladders can safely remove and install, or is a lift or crane needed?

The electrical aspect is already covered, I'm just not sure of the physical removal and installation of these units.

20170609_105201.jpg

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Ladders!!!!

NO WAY!!!

Why do you feel the need to do this yourself? There are companies out there that do this.

Contact a electric sign guy in your area, to give you a quote moving it, add a few bucks and bang! All done!!

Have a relationship with others in the industry! I personally have a guy I use for stuff like this. We've been working together for 25+ years. Works great!

FYI......
You would need (2) trucks for this. 1 for lifting/lowering and 1 for laborer to remove/install fasteners.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would agree - hire it out.

It can easily be done with one truck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I sure wouldn't want to do this off of ladders, although it can be done. One bucket and two guys can easily do it. However, if you don't know your way around this kinda stuff, you could mess it up. Then you'd be responsible for getting them to work at the next location.

If you end up doing them, bench test them before you re-instal them.

Contacting a real professional would be much better, as mentioned.

spectrum maine

rent a truck 1 day (300)+- have electrician detach power before you remove. you should be no less than $125 per hr + electrician. they probably weigh 100 lbs per section. $1000 a day. min.

MikePro

i've lifted something like this on ladders, even with 3 guys/ladders, and it is awful. channel letters on a raceway are anything but balanced. It will want to roll'over in your arms, and one guy loses his awkward grip then you may as well all let go, cause it's goin' down & hopefully without a body underneath it.
So much risk & effort involved.

with a crane, or even a scissor-lift, you could easily do it with 2 guys & minimal sweat.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
One bucket, one person. Want company or feel lazy? Bring along a second person. I love doing these types of jobs. You can charge out the ass for them and are pretty easy. I like to keep a saws-all handy!

I have two square tubing bolted to the bottom of my bucket that sticks out about 8". I press them against the bottom of the raceway and lift them a tad so you can remove the bolts with the weight off of them. Once bolts are off, I pull it off the wall slightly and tilt the bucket up so they don't fall. That your you can ratchet strap them to the bucket. If the letters are small then I just use the top of my bucket instead of the square tubing so I'm not bending down to remove them. Then they just ride down with me.