• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving my XR-640

sohail

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to move my XR-640 to a new location. I keep the printer in my basement and it has a narrow exit. We need to tilt the printer in order to get it out of the basement. I called the Roland dealer in my area and they told me that they won't help me moving the printer. They told me they can come in and drain the inks and secure the head to be prepared for the movers. They want to charge me $870 for the first service call and another $530 for coming after the move and start the machine.
Does anyone have a better idea?! It looks a lot to me to pay $1300 just for coming in and securing the head of the printer.

ProColorGraphics

I moved an sp-300 up some steep stairs once. I just secured the head and went. I don't recall having any issues when I plugged it back in. Just go as fast as you can. I'm pretty sure I went so the head side went up. Figured it'd be better than the ink running towards it. Make sure you drain bottle is empty.

amw

Longtime Members
We have had to "stand" one on end (sp-300v) to move down steps and around tight corners. Pumped out all ink, and then refilled once moved. Had no trouble. I think you can do this without the dealers help. Is it under a warranty still? That might change things if that will affect the warranty.

Head side down, cart side up is what we did. Once you pump out all the ink you will have removed all the carts. I put transfer tape over the opening to insure nothing got in the ink bays.

Last edited:

CS-SignSupply

"It looks a lot to me to pay $1300 just for coming in and securing the head of the printer."

Interesting statement. You can secure the head by installing the blue head lock assembly yourself. This is not what you are paying for.

sohail

Thanks

We have had to "stand" one on end (sp-300v) to move down steps and around tight corners. Pumped out all ink, and then refilled once moved. Had no trouble. I think you can do this without the dealers help. Is it under a warranty still? That might change things if that will affect the warranty.

Head side down, cart side up is what we did. Once you pump out all the ink you will have removed all the carts. I put transfer tape over the opening to insure nothing got in the ink bays.

Thank you,
Warranty is almost over, I'm not worried about it. I'm gonna order cleaning cartridges and pump out the ink and secure the head and move it. Did you follow the steps in manual for pumping out the ink and reinstalling them when you are done?

CanuckSigns

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to move my XR-640 to a new location. I keep the printer in my basement and it has a narrow exit. We need to tilt the printer in order to get it out of the basement. I called the Roland dealer in my area and they told me that they won't help me moving the printer. They told me they can come in and drain the inks and secure the head to be prepared for the movers. They want to charge me $870 for the first service call and another $530 for coming after the move and start the machine.
Does anyone have a better idea?! It looks a lot to me to pay $1300 just for coming in and securing the head of the printer.

I'm guessing they threw a high number at you because every tech we have had come to our shop absolutely despises installing printers in basements of houses. Houses are not built to fit industrial machinery into, especially not a 64" printer! I assume it was a "Quote it high and hope they go away" kind of scenario.

amw

Longtime Members
Thank you,
Warranty is almost over, I'm not worried about it. I'm gonna order cleaning cartridges and pump out the ink and secure the head and move it. Did you follow the steps in manual for pumping out the ink and reinstalling them when you are done?

Yes, used the steps in the manual to pump out the ink. We needed 4 cleaning cartridges (one for each color). Then you just go thru the normal setup to install the ink back in the printer after its in the new location. We have done this 3 times actually and never had a problem. 2 up steep steps and one time up steps and crazy tight turns. Its really not that bad...but it still freaks us out every time lol.