• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving text

GVP

Greetings! A Coreldraw question - If you create a string of text, and set the size of some of the letters at a larger size, and then select the entire line using the Shape tool. Using the arrow keys, move the entire line up or down - the smaller letters move further than the larger, rather than the whole line moving as one object ? If you use the mouse instead, the whole line moves as one? Tried this in X3 and X5, and on more than one computer - so it's definitely a 'feature'. Any thoughts why? I'm guessing it's moving a percentage of the lettering size, but can't figure out why this would be useful/desirable?

ScreenHunter_94 Mar. 23 08.53.jpg ScreenHunter_96 Mar. 23 08.54.jpg ScreenHunter_97 Mar. 23 08.54.jpg

It seems to occur in both paragraph & artistic text. The reason I'm doing it is I'm trying to adjust spacing in multiple lines of text.

unclebun

Using Corel 2018. When I use the shape tool to select the letters, the arrow keys won't move the text at all.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I don't see the problem at all in X7.
Type some text highlight and resize different characters, use the shape tool and marquee select all the text nodes then arrow up or down and they all move keeping the same baseline.

unclebun

Perhaps when you use the shape tool rather than the pick tool, it moves the letters by fractions of the line height, which would vary according to font size.

GVP

Perhaps when you use the shape tool rather than the pick tool, it moves the letters by fractions of the line height, which would vary according to font size.

Yes, that's my conclusion as well. I just don't understand the reasoning as to why? Oh well - we'll call it a 'feature'!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
That nudge feature, varying degrees of nudge based on different letter sizes in the same text string, is probably something I would never use. I'm not a big fan at all of faux large-cap/small-cap type treatments where the first letter is merely enlarged versus the other capital letters. The end result is something that often looks out of balance; the bigger letters have letter strokes a lot bigger than the other letters. If I need to set type using small capitals I'll choose an OpenType typeface that has a native small capitals character set built into the font file and go to the tiny extra effort of using those characters. I can only try to laugh or just do a face-palm when I see a faked small cap treatment set in Arial or Times New Roman. Those default Windows OS fonts do have native small cap character sets built into them.