• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving up..... (kinda)

vinylvillain

Long time lurker, first time poster under this name - I have had a USED 30" Desay Master cutter XY 380 P (don't even get me started on this thing), that I bought when I didn't know what the hell I was doing 2 years ago, and I am moving up even if i'm moving down.... My budget is limited, and I was really eyeballing the 24" Graphtec CE6000 - I used the search feature here to see if I could find any actual reviews or information, but was unsuccessful; I was hoping someone can shed some light on the pros and more importantly the cons of the CE6000. The key terms here for me are RELIABILITY & QUALITY; If you are familiar with the Master Cutter you know my pain; ideally, I wanna be able to cut 20+ moderate size decals at once, OR cut .5" tall characters if I need to, and have this thing not skip a beat.

Also, what is the compatibility with illustrator? I hate using different software to cut every time, I would LOVE..... to cut straight from illustrator.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I have the 48" size of this plotter.
It is the poor mans Graphtec - made in China.
Pretty sturdy - not too noisy -c uts clean.
Lots of useful options in the firmware to make vinyl cutting easier.
With a new blade you can cut letters down to 1/8th - 3/16" or so depending on the font and the material.
They come with Cutting Master 3 software that works as a plug-in for both Illustrator & CorelDraw.
You cut directly from either.
Works well enough, doesn't like grouped paths and can slow down(sometimes hang) when sorting out large complex files.
It is easier and faster than exporting out designs from Illy or Corel into Flexi just to cut.

We don't do too much cut vinyl any more but the cutter works fine for the contour cutting printed decals.
I generate the crop marks with MS3 and send the files as eps to the Flexi production manager to rip and print.
Cut the contours from within Illy or Corel using the MS3 plug-in.
I think it is a decent mid level cutter for a shop that is not balls to the wall cutting vinyl.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Having whooptodo equipment isn't all that critical. Your tools can do much more than we give them credit. For the most part, between software, hardware and total understnading, we use about 15% of their capabilities. Learn your tools, make them work for you and you'll do just fine.

vinylvillain

I bought a Master cutter once many years ago... I returned it a month later...

They suck so bad.

NEVER. AGAIN...... I agree. I bought the thing used on Craigslist none-the-less (death wish right there), because I knew I wanted one but didn't go my homework. I know what I am doing now, and I know what good plotters are capable of. I'm going to sell it to someone who might want it for scrap booking or trashing it because that's all its worth really.

I have the 48" size of this plotter.
It is the poor mans Graphtec - made in China.
Pretty sturdy - not too noisy -c uts clean.
Lots of useful options in the firmware to make vinyl cutting easier.
With a new blade you can cut letters down to 1/8th - 3/16" or so depending on the font and the material.
They come with Cutting Master 3 software that works as a plug-in for both Illustrator & CorelDraw.
You cut directly from either.
Works well enough, doesn't like grouped paths and can slow down(sometimes hang) when sorting out large complex files.
It is easier and faster than exporting out designs from Illy or Corel into Flexi just to cut.

We don't do too much cut vinyl any more but the cutter works fine for the contour cutting printed decals.
I generate the crop marks with MS3 and send the files as eps to the Flexi production manager to rip and print.
Cut the contours from within Illy or Corel using the MS3 plug-in.
I think it is a decent mid level cutter for a shop that is not balls to the wall cutting vinyl.

wayne k
guam usa

Perfect, thank you. I just needed some solid field evidence of this thing. I know it's not top of the line, but it certainly doesn't sound like bottom of the barrel either. Poor mans Graptec for a poor man should work for me... I'm hoping I get 1 more reply similar to yours and I will have most likely made my decision. Thanks again.

Z SIGNS

To expand on what Gino said.

I akin sign making equipment and technology to music.

It's not the instrument that makes you a great musician.
Perlman can make more music with a Popsicle stick than most in the philharmonic he performs with.

Your printer and plotter and software are just just like that guitar that is sitting in the corner of your room.
It's up you to bring it to life.

If your not a good signmaker without the Stradivarius machine.

How is the new machine going to help you ?

Reliable tools help

vinylvillain

To expand on what Gino said.

I akin sign making equipment and technology to music.

It's not the instrument that makes you a great musician.
Perlman can make more music with a Popsicle stick than most in the philharmonic he performs with.

Your printer and plotter and software are just just like that guitar that is sitting in the corner of your room.
It's up you to bring it to life.

If your not a good signmaker without the Stradivarius machine.

How is the new machine going to help you ?

Reliable tools help

Just an FYI before you start questioning people and their sign making abilities... talk to anyone else who owns a Master Cutter and see what they say about this amazing "instrument..." Its an entry level plotter with entry level software, entry level settings/functions, and there is little to no helping this machine. I've worked at a sign shop full time for 3+ years now and work with a Summa S Series there, my plotter at home is for side money and because I love doing it. I work 8:30-6:00pm Monday - Friday for someone else and then I come home and do the exact same thing. A new plotter will help be more efficient, deliver a better product to my customer, and save time..... Thats how it will help me.

Z SIGNS

Just an FYI before you start questioning people and their sign making abilities... talk to anyone else who owns a Master Cutter and see what they say about this amazing "instrument..." Its an entry level plotter with entry level software, entry level settings/functions, and there is little to no helping this machine. I've worked at a sign shop full time for 3+ years now and work with a Summa S Series there, my plotter at home is for side money and because I love doing it. I work 8:30-6:00pm Monday - Friday for someone else and then I come home and do the exact same thing. A new plotter will help be more efficient, deliver a better product to my customer, and save time..... Thats how it will help me.

Was not questioning your abilities.

I was just expanding on what Gino said and making a point that it's not the machines and software that make great signs.

It's the person behind the machine

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
NEVER. AGAIN...... I agree. I bought the thing used on Craigslist none-the-less (death wish right there), because I knew I wanted one but didn't go my homework. I know what I am doing now, and I know what good plotters are capable of. I'm going to sell it to someone who might want it for scrap booking or trashing it because that's all its worth really.

Perfect, thank you. I just needed some solid field evidence of this thing. I know it's not top of the line, but it certainly doesn't sound like bottom of the barrel either. Poor mans Graptec for a poor man should work for me... I'm hoping I get 1 more reply similar to yours and I will have most likely made my decision. Thanks again.

I own the same Chinese made 24"cutter and sold it later without cutting any real job yet... with average Joe guy like us a good equipment really count.. You made a right decision. Your precious time is needed to make money not to play with equipment.. my 2 cents.

player

Compare the Master cutter I had with a cheap guitar that will not intonate, the tuners will not hold the strings in tune, and the neck is warped backwards... sure a great guitar player could make it sound ok as a challange, but would never even call it a guitar. That is the Master cutter I had. The tracking was sooo bad, it would go off at 1 foot or at 10 feet, with no rhyme or reason to it.

It also had a thing where if the file was cutting outside the plotter maximum, the head would CRACK against the far edge, quickly come back 6 inches and then with all it's force CRACK against the side. It would do this about 20 times per second until I would turn it off... CRACKCRACKCRACKCRACKCRACK... VERY LOUD and violent.

Jackpine

used CE3000Mk2 or CE5000Mk2

24" Graphtec CE6000 This would be a good entry cutter. You could pick up a used CE3000Mk2 or CE5000Mk2 very reasonable.
I have used a CE3000Mk2 cutter for over10 years and it still cuts and contour cuts accurately. I also cut with a Summa D75 I bought for $1400.00 in like new condition.

Last edited:

AF

If all the machines were "free", then which one would you want? That is the machine you should save up for. In the interim, get something that meets a minimum standard and go from there. Sounds like the Master machine didn't meet the minimum standard.

vinylvillain

Compare the Master cutter I had with a cheap guitar that will not intonate, the tuners will not hold the strings in tune, and the neck is warped backwards... sure a great guitar player could make it sound ok as a challange, but would never even call it a guitar. That is the Master cutter I had. The tracking was sooo bad, it would go off at 1 foot or at 10 feet, with no rhyme or reason to it.

It also had a thing where if the file was cutting outside the plotter maximum, the head would CRACK against the far edge, quickly come back 6 inches and then with all it's force CRACK against the side. It would do this about 20 times per second until I would turn it off... CRACKCRACKCRACKCRACKCRACK... VERY LOUD and violent.

Did you ever have issues with closing paths on your master cutter? I have played with my plotter countless hours attempting to fix this issue, countless forums, you name it; I have tried it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops:..... guess where I went wrong is, I'm not accustomed to people buying junk, just for the sake of buying something. My whole life, I've always done my homework, bought what I considered most suitable for my needs...... at the moment........ and went to work.

If you buy junk, knowingly, then I can see why you named this thread moving up. You're in the gutter, it's only up from there. Even the curb is a step up.

This is where..... or should I say why so many have a bad taste for backyard hacks in their mouths these days. No offense to the OP, but when people try to ignore the fact of being professional and try to polish a turd, is the phrase everyone here uses, then I guess you can't depend on your talent, cause if you depend on your machine solely for your meal ticket, you made a huge first mistake.

Hope you get what you're looking for.........:rock-n-roll:

moving up

Just my 2 cents , I have been researching printers and cutters since the first of the year and am finally ordering the Graphtec CE6000-60 from Imprintables Warehouse, checked over the reviews on many sites and the CE6000-60 has no bad reviews only praise. A week ago I called on a new purchase for sale I questioned him about it and he said he was selling it because he bought two, 1 for at the shop and 1 for home to keep from falling behind at the shop, well his new CE6000-60 cuts so quiet- clean- and fast, he doesn't need the 1 for at home , but how do you sell a new not used cutter once its registered by you the warranty cannot transfer to new buyer. So I buy new and get all the support and warranty for the CE6000-60. Also IW has the best deal going now plus free freight. Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK :wink:.