• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving VersaWorks to a new computer input

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Did a little search here but asking as well. Looking for any input or things to look out for on:

• Switching from VersaWorks to VersaWorks Dual.
• Switching out to new computer with Windblows 10 / 12gig mem / 128Gig SSD drive and has seperate 1T HD as well.
• Also run Flexi and will switch that over as well.
• Have backed up all custom profiles to the server for both printers.

Any input on making this switch appreciated.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
What a nightmare just setting up this new machine, my destain for the Windblows environment his increased 10 fold yet again!!

WildWestDesigns

I hesitated in posting as I didn't quite fit the parameters of the bullet points.

I don't know specifically what your issues are from post 2, but I have found that with Win 10, it's in a perpetual state of Beta (especially if always connected to the internet), especially if you are just using the "Home" version. "Pro" may be a little better, but not by much. My dad has had his own issues and he has the "Enterprise" version.

For the most part, I've always liked Windows, even Win 10 (shoot the Linux rig I run looks like Win 10), I've always liked how it "handled", it's just been the culture that hasn't been that great.

The biggest thing that I have found now, is to have it on a rig that doesn't have an internet connection. LAN only is fine, but not internet. Once you get it stable, off it goes.

That's just my take on it with this recent iteration. I'm doing my best to never have a new version of Windows installed on bare metal, only Linux with a VM (if needed).

I know, not much help with your current situation, the only thing that I can think of to help with Win 10 users (and I've dealt with some that have the same digitizing software that I have and it's supposedly kosher with Win 10, but it does have a bug in it that won't get fixed til the next release) is once you get it stable, keep it off, because no promise that the next mandatory update won't kill it and then you are at the mercy for your software vendor to fix it and that is only going to happen if they still support that version that you are on.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I'm not an Apple Fanboy but I would like to see Windows outlawed, so bloated with junk and so poorley written, the most cumbersome OS out there for sure!! Unfortunaley we have to keep a couple Windows machines for the rips and embroidery stations. I'm really frustrated right now, had to pay an extra $100 to upgrade to "Pro" just to join a domain!! WTF!! Then it wouldn't upgrade on a brand new high end box, took MS 3.5 hrs to get it to fly!! Now trying to update, nothing like having to restart the computer after every little thing - jeeeezzz!!

WildWestDesigns

Unfortunaley we have to keep a couple Windows machines for the rips and embroidery stations.

I have had some success with WINE running some of my embroidery software. The more legacy software seems to be more stable. But I have been able to get some of the Wilcom E3 programs to work.

Not as good as running a VM with Windows, but it does work. Depending on what programs you are running and what all they entail, your mileage may vary. Now this is WINE on Linux, but I do believe that they have ported (no pun intended) WINE to Mac OS as well.

Again, use at your own risk, but just another avenue to think about.

Now trying to update, nothing like having to restart the computer after every little thing - jeeeezzz!!

One thing to consider, at least what I have found out with dad's rig, is that when Win does it's update, sometimes it will grab slightly older drivers (video card, USB controllers etc), so might want to check to make sure everything is on the latest one.

Again, if you are able to, get Win 10 off the internet once you are able to get it stable (if you are). For a variety of reasons, but especially with this mandatory update "stuff" that MS is pulling now.

Win 10 is the reason why I'm using Linux more and more. I wish I could go all out, but I can't. Not at this point and probably, given how embroidery software is, I doubt it will be easy. This is going to sound strange coming from me, based on all my other comments, but to me, this is about the biggest pro to web based subscription software. OS agnostic. It has it's share of cons (boy does it ever), but that's the biggest pro for me and to me, it's big enough to hope for it in some ways (but I do have workarounds for locally installed software as well). I just don't even what to deal with Win 10, even in a VM (but it's sure not going to be on bare metal).

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Thanks WWD. I am still fighting this thing! :frustrated: It seems to be having certain difficulties seeing our internal network devices as well as connecting to both Roland's and Flexi's serververs. It does have internet connection and I haved turned the Firwall off. I manged to get Flexi loaded by manually entering the licence key but cannot get VersaWorks dual to update either manually or via the programs so I cannot add any of the printers that I need to.

Thanks WWD. I am still fighting this thing! :frustrated: It seems to be having certain difficulties seeing our internal network devices as well as connecting to both Roland's and Flexi's serververs. It does have internet connection and I haved turned the Firwall off. I manged to get Flexi loaded by manually entering the licence key but cannot get VersaWorks dual to update either manually or via the programs so I cannot add any of the printers that I need to.

Hey Behrmon,

As you likely already know, we can help with this. You just have to call us or complete our online support request here: Product Support Form | Roland. We can help with getting VersaWorks Dual updated (so long as you have a supported model). Not all printers will be identified by VersaWorks Dual, just contact us and we'll continue.

Take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Hey Behrmon,

As you likely already know, we can help with this. You just have to call us or complete our online support request here: Product Support Form | Roland. We can help with getting VersaWorks Dual updated (so long as you have a supported model). Not all printers will be identified by VersaWorks Dual, just contact us and we'll continue.

Take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Thanks, apparently Dual (Per Roland Support today) will not support our XR (to new) or our XC540 (to old). I found this pretty disapointing to be honest, purchased a new PC and everything to run Dual. Tried to install striaght up VersaWorks on the new Win10 Pro machine just to find it did not want to install properly? Flexi it is I guess?

WildWestDesigns

Tried to install striaght up VersaWorks on the new Win10 Pro machine just to find it did not want to install properly? Flexi it is I guess?

For the main digitizing software that I use, even though they said it was supported for Win 10, has a bug that can give pretty erratic results. I knew a lot of people upgraded machines and upgraded software only to find out that there was a bug between the now latest (supposed to change within a month or 2 if the scuttlebutt is correct) version and won't be rectified until the next release. That caused a lot of consternation among those that upgraded (full version retails for $15k).

I know it doesn't help, but I can certainly feel your pain.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
help with windows 10

behrmon

no one hates windows ten more than i do. we do have 100 pc's running it at my largest client, though. it is unavoidable, i can't even go to signs101 in ie 11 anymore, so we have to use windows 10 or virtualize an older operating system

don't blame microsoft for the fact that you need pro version to join domain. it has always been that way...

most things you want to do can be done with legacy control panel functions. you will see an interface you are familiarwith, at least. pm me and i will reply with my cell phone #. happy to help as much as i can.

For the main digitizing software that I use, even though they said it was supported for Win 10, has a bug that can give pretty erratic results. I knew a lot of people upgraded machines and upgraded software only to find out that there was a bug between the now latest (supposed to change within a month or 2 if the scuttlebutt is correct) version and won't be rectified until the next release. That caused a lot of consternation among those that upgraded (full version retails for $15k).

I know it doesn't help, but I can certainly feel your pain.