• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MS Windows 10 Creators Update breaks things.

OADesign

So, I recently put together a simple file server for the shop. Windows 10 Machine. Added an extra hard drive with basic open shares so all PCs on the network can access. It is on the internet... But set so updates only go when I say. But man, the nags are out of control.
So the two issues.

1) The box has no monitor or input devices connected. So its a PIA to get in the box and exit the nag screens. problem I have found is that some software stops running when the box is in a nag state (Carbonite!!!). How to I stop the nags altogether (with out taking the box off the net)?

2) I figured I would try to run all the updates during some down time. What I discovered is that WIN10 Fall Creators Update (1709 or 1703) changes the way simple networking works. Long story short, simple shares are no more. And I would rather not spend the time setting up users, passwords and the like, plus that is beyond my skill set (read pay grade). I have spent the last few days trying to figure out how to make it work. None of the fixes I've found work. At all. The only way I can get it back to working is to roll back that particular update. But then I'm back to the nag loop. So it affects not only my set up but any NAS type thing connected to a net work.
Anyone having this same issue? How did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Windows 10 is in constant beta state, and Microsoft are letting their users be the bug testers for "free".
All of our machines are still on 7 or 8.1 and don't have any of these random issues popping up whenever Microsoft decide to "upgrade" the operating system and break everything.

Clem

yeah, we've had our IT disable updates (or put them off as long as possible) as the latest one breaks our Ergosoft posterprint rip for some reason.
Quite annoying..

Chasez

Just updated design pc to win 10... had major issues trying to access server shared folder but found out it was the firewall that was not allowing the connection. I would check your firewall (check in AV as well) on the win10 pc to make sure connections are allowed. As soon as I added the exception in the firewall everything worked like it was supposed too.

Chaz

OADesign

Just updated design pc to win 10... had major issues trying to access server shared folder but found out it was the firewall that was not allowing the connection. I would check your firewall (check in AV as well) on the win10 pc to make sure connections are allowed. As soon as I added the exception in the firewall everything worked like it was supposed too.

Chaz

Any chance you can share a bit more detail on what you did?

WildWestDesigns

Bare in mind using a Desktop OS as a "server" isn't quite the best thing. Desktop OSs are designed to give certain services priority over others. Not always the best thing for a file server. Now having said that, all my file servers are isolated from the outside network (as I believe all production rigs should be).

Windows 10 is essentially a rolling release distro (not any different from Suse or Arch in the Linux world). Each major release goes EOL every 18 months.

The latest updates also changed some work arounds (aka registry edits) that I had to disable updating on my dad's computer before he had done some hardware updates and decided it was best to update the whole thing while he was at it.

While I do believe in "patching ones s&!t", this is no bueno for production use.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Buy you a NAS. We have a 4TB Western Digital network drive set up to mirror data, so we essentially only have 2TB that is copied/backed up to the other 2TB in case of drive failure. All of the production and design machines have the drives mapped and can access the files.

Power save feature is also disabled so the drives don't go to sleep and are quicker to access.

OADesign

Just following up here. I was able to get this solved.
Maybe this will give someone some ideas if they run into a similar issue.

The band-aid was to roll back the 1709 update daily, to make this box accessible, until I got it sorted out. A silly workaround, I know.

So after scouring the interwebs. And some expert tutelage from a member here on S101 (Thank you, Sir!) I was able to get this working.
I let the 1709 update install. Then checked windows update again immediately after reboot and found that there were several additional updates.
After letting those install, I re-shared the folder and checked all user permissions. Then after some snooping, I found the the guest user some how was requiring a password. And the a password had been set (unknown, not by me). So I removed the password and rebooted the machine. After running windows update one more time, and one more reboot all seems to work fine.

Although the steps are not specific, I hope the theory helps someone else.

SignBurst PCs

Omar, I am glad that you got it working. I didn't do very much at all (you did all the work), but I am glad that it got figured out.

Is it still working?

OADesign

Omar, I am glad that you got it working. I didn't do very much at all (you did all the work), but I am glad that it got figured out.

Is it still working?
Like a charm. Only thing is, after the last round of updates, I had to reset all the power settings (sleep etc.) so it doesn't doze off 10 min.

SignBurst PCs

That update was a big one (1709) and caused all kinds of changes. I notices a lot of network sharing settings being changed to defaults after the update.