• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MS Word Art

w2csa

Lately I've been getting artwork from customers generated in Microsoft word then either sent to me as a Word document or as a saved PDF from MS Word.
If the image is complicated at all, such as a lot of gradients, I am struggling to get the image imported correctly in Corel X7.
Most of the files the customer sends are larger than 1MB so I cant attach them here.
Has anyone else had this challenge?
Is it that MW Word generated images are just not made to be shared?
I also have Flexi which sometimes does better but there always seems to be a problem with color, gradients, etc.
Any input would be appreciated.

Lately I've been getting artwork from customers generated in Microsoft word then either sent to me as a Word document or as a saved PDF from MS Word.
If the image is complicated at all, such as a lot of gradients, I am struggling to get the image imported correctly in Corel X7.
Most of the files the customer sends are larger than 1MB so I cant attach them here.
Has anyone else had this challenge?
Is it that MW Word generated images are just not made to be shared?
I also have Flexi which sometimes does better but there always seems to be a problem with color, gradients, etc.
Any input would be appreciated.

We tell customers that we use jpeg, tif, png, psd, cdr, ai, svg, eps, or pdf image files only. If they send us something in Ms Word or Powerpoint, we try to open it and see if it can be worked with, but if not, they are s.o.l. If they can't provide image files in an acceptable image format, it's their problem, not ours.

J Hill Designs

if you are having issues with pdfs, and don't need to modify the artwork, just import into photoshop at the resolution needed for final output and save as rgb jpg

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
if you are having issues with pdfs, and don't need to modify the artwork, just import into photoshop at the resolution needed for final output and save as rgb jpg

I do this...even with most AI and EPS files. Just saves the trouble of font issues, most color and gradient issues, and I control the resolution of my final print file.

rdm01

Microsoft files are tough. Both word and publisher tend to cause problems. Even a PDF exported from publisher will cause issues with Onyx, many times photos dropping out, but only when printed (preview looks fine).

w2csa

Usually if the file is to size I can work it out (Not always though) but I had to resize a background... what a mess!
IIs there a way to tell if a incoming pdf is from a MS Word file?
I don't think so but if there was a way then it could be spec'd... no pdf's from a Word File.

afarraway

I do this...even with most AI and EPS files. Just saves the trouble of font issues, most color and gradient issues, and I control the resolution of my final print file.

Agreed! Don't you love it when they want to make a "simple" color change after you submit your first proof =)