• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multiple "Release Clipping Mask" on imported files. How to?

JP4

Hey Folks....I been searching for a way to "release clipping mask" on a imported file. I'll get files from clients/vendars and they will have tons of "Clipping masks through out the design. It is crazy time consuming going through and releasing each one individually. Is there a way to clean up these faster?
Thanks in advance!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Maybe I am missing something... why not select all > clipping mask > release. That releases all of them at the same time. You can then ungroup or break apart using a keyboard shortcut too

shoresigns

Maybe I am missing something... why not select all > clipping mask > release. That releases all of them at the same time. You can then ungroup or break apart using a keyboard shortcut too
Not quite.

Select > Object > Clipping Masks
then Object > Clipping Mask > Release

This will release all clipping masks at once.

CTRL+A, mash CTRL+ALT+7 until your fingers bleed, because designers LOOOOOOVE clipping masks.
This will release clipping masks recursively, one level at a time. The advantage of this method is when there are clipping masks that are essential to the artwork, it's easier to keep an eye on them.

Also, designers don't generally put all those extra clipping masks in – they're a result of converting between different vector formats, most commonly seen when importing PDFs into Illustrator.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hey Folks....I been searching for a way to "release clipping mask" on a imported file. I'll get files from clients/vendars and they will have tons of "Clipping masks through out the design. It is crazy time consuming going through and releasing each one individually. Is there a way to clean up these faster?
Thanks in advance!

What file types are you getting?

Can you get the native files? And if you get the native files, can you open them? I'm assuming some are done in Illustrator, Indesign, Corel or some other layout program and made into .pdf

I'm assuming .pdf.... and most likely the smallest .pdf which are laden with mask on top of mask...

I would have them save the .pdf into the highest format possible, and/or send you the native file (if you can open it) oh, and ignore the Corel fanboy...

Johnny Best

Why do you want to release the clipping masks. Are you printing from the files or cutting vinyl from them.
I am with Vector Doc on how to release them with Illustrator.

Andy_warp

The best way is to use your layers palette in Illustrator. That way you can be sure not to jack up your stacking order...or lose all of the individual attributes on an object level basis.
(such as opacity/blending mode/ etc.)

Releasing them all at once is like 52 pick-up!!! Don't do it! Depending on the complexity you're bound to miss a detail.

This is less of an issue if working from a native file. An indesign generated pdf will have this crap all through it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I have a script for Illustrator that nukes every clipping mask.
Can be a godsend or headf**ck depending on the source file.
Let me know if interested.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
myront said:
Import the ai file to Corel and BAM! All clipping masks are ignored and/or released

I'm calling BS on that one.

I've been using both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for over 20 years (currently use Corel X8 and Illustrator CC 2018). The two applications have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, so I prefer having access to the strengths of both. More important: CorelDRAW and Illustrator don't play nicely with each other's files.

And CorelDRAW is no magic bullet for clipping mask pollution from certain types of PDF files. In fact CorelDRAW will often import the PDF artwork with all sorts of odd ball inaccuracies. It's one thing if you're importing objects with solid/flat colored fills. Add in gradients, any steps of transparency or other effects the accuracy of the import goes straight into the toilet. Aside from gradient fills gone all wonky the even bigger problem with bringing polluted PDFs into CorelDRAW is duplicate paths. Corel does nothing about this. You'll have 2, 3 or more copies of the same clipping masked object sitting on top of each other (with at least one or more of those copies having no fill and no stroke). That's a disaster waiting to happen if that artwork is sent directly to a vinyl cutter. You have to get in there and police all the objects to get rid of duplicates and correct any errors with fills.

BTW, Powerclip in CorelDRAW is the same thing as clipping masks in Illustrator.

The root issue of clipping mask pollution in artwork is users creating the PDFs without maintaining Illustrator editing capability. Illustrator provides that option, but not everyone bothers clicking the little check box. Other applications tend to save PDFs by applying clipping masks and even embedded alpha channel TIFF images to any objects with gradients and levels of transparency.

Astute Graphics has an Illustrator plug-in that can fix a lot of problems when importing PDFs into Illustrator, but it's not 100% perfect. For the time it can save the plug-in is a good buy.