• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multiple tablets

shakey0818

I have a ipad,Toshiba Thrive tablet.I was wondering if any of you have heard of software that you can turn 2-3 tablets together and use as multiple monitors/tablets.I was thinking of having 2 connected by a custom hinge.I am also in the process of making a laptop with two other laptop screens that slide out to make the 1 laptop have 3 screens.I'm not sure how tis will all work out but i think it's a cool idea.

Last edited:

choucove

This sounds like quite the interesting project to take on.

For laptops, running multiple monitors really isn't a problem. Most all laptops today have graphics chipsets along with physical wiring and connections to directly connect multiple external monitors. The number of displays which can be run depends on the underlying graphics chipset. For instance, the basic and older nVidia GeForce chipset in one of my HP Pavilion laptops can run just one external display, but the AMD FirePro that powers the newest of the HP EliteBook laptops can run up to four external monitors at once. The difficulty that you will have is finding a way of modifying the wiring (or using some sort of converter) for the external monitor outputs of your laptop to the display input cables of the extra laptop monitors which are often a proprietary ribbon cable of some sort.

Now, when it comes to tablets I really don't know if it's possible to do what you're wanting at least with the current tablet hardware and software available. Most tablets currently do not have graphics chipsets or connections to run external displays. So, the only way of combining the tablet displays into one tablet would have to be through some sort of virtualization environment and software. While I have seen that OnLive has released a Windows 7 desktop environment app for the iPad, this still really doesn't come close to doing what you are wanting to do it seems, where it's combining two tablets into one.

shakey0818

This sounds like quite the interesting project to take on.

For laptops, running multiple monitors really isn't a problem. Most all laptops today have graphics chipsets along with physical wiring and connections to directly connect multiple external monitors. The number of displays which can be run depends on the underlying graphics chipset. For instance, the basic and older nVidia GeForce chipset in one of my HP Pavilion laptops can run just one external display, but the AMD FirePro that powers the newest of the HP EliteBook laptops can run up to four external monitors at once. The difficulty that you will have is finding a way of modifying the wiring (or using some sort of converter) for the external monitor outputs of your laptop to the display input cables of the extra laptop monitors which are often a proprietary ribbon cable of some sort.

Now, when it comes to tablets I really don't know if it's possible to do what you're wanting at least with the current tablet hardware and software available. Most tablets currently do not have graphics chipsets or connections to run external displays. So, the only way of combining the tablet displays into one tablet would have to be through some sort of virtualization environment and software. While I have seen that OnLive has released a Windows 7 desktop environment app for the iPad, this still really doesn't come close to doing what you are wanting to do it seems, where it's combining two tablets into one.

Thanks for the input.

JoshLoring

No problem. I couldn't remember what it was but I had seen my brother use it before. It actually works pretty good

stephenj148

Wow, I'm impressed... once I found out I downloaded the app, Took a while to set up, had some setup issues. It's a little laggy, kinda like streaming a movie but really not too bad. Definatly will be using this. Very very cool

JoshLoring

stephenj148 said:
Wow, I'm impressed... once I found out I downloaded the app, Took a while to set up, had some setup issues. It's a little laggy, kinda like streaming a movie but really not too bad. Definatly will be using this. Very very cool

Sweet!
My favorite app is iteleport. I use it all the time to run my rip and printer from home