• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural Artist Needed

wildside

Saw this in one of the local papers on friday and thought it would be good to get the info farther out there - i bolded the important part below, but the state capital needs a mural and are paying for it :thumb:

REP. BOWERS ANNOUNCES SEARCH FOR MURAL ARTIST

2/24/2012

TOPEKA- Kansas Representative Elaine Bowers (R-Concordia) is pleased to announce a national search for an artist to paint a new mural in the Kansas Capitol in Topeka.

Recently, a call went out for artists to paint a public mural in the Kansas Capitol that will commemorate the 1954 Supreme Court ruling, Brown v. the Topeka Board of Education. The landmark decision led to the desegregation of schools in the United States. “The murals are meaningful to all Kansans,” said Rep. Bowers. “I hope to see several submissions from artists in North Central Kansas.”

Rep. Bowers serves on the Kansas Legislature’s Capitol Preservation Committee, which is responsible for the mural project. Artists are encouraged to submit a resume, references, and samples of their work to the Mulvane Art Museum, Washburn University, 1700 SW College Ave, Topeka, KS 66621, by May 1. A handful of finalists will later submit proposals for the mural, which is to be completed by October 2014. The project will be funded with private donations.

The Kansas Capitol has a powerful legacy of public art. In 1937, Kansas artist John Steuart Curry painted Tragic Prelude. The mural, which depicts abolitionist John Brown, represents the struggle over slavery that took place in Kansas just before the Civil War. Today, it is among the most recognized murals in the county.

In 1954, Brown v. the Topeka Board of Education affectively ended public school segregation, which required black and white students to attend separate schools. The lead plaintiff was Oliver Brown, an African-American Topeka man whose third grade daughter was forced to attend a distant black school instead of a nearby white school. Many see the lawsuit as a continuation of the struggle against slavery.