• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1304 Cyan Issue...

EmpireGFX.com

Well.. looks like I finally have the cyan issue on my Mutoh. I am getting inconsistent prints when printing straight cyan or blue... it almost appears blotchy and cloudy. I have done numerous head cleanings (regular, strong, low charge) to no avail. I have also tried different head heights. I have also cleaned the head itself numerous times without any changes to the print. I searched and found some threads where people were describing the same cyan issues that I am having but nobody ever replied with their solution. Is there something I am missing that I can do within the settings, etc. to get this to resolve itself or am I destined to need a head replacement? Any help regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!! :banghead:

heyskull

What's the test print like?
Show us your test print.

Is the capping station pulling ink properly?
Is the wiper clean and moving properly?
How are you cleaning the head, are you soaking it or just using the machines cleaning facility?

How old is the head, head cable and maintenance station?
I believe 4 years is the maximum you will get out of a head and head cable.
I would never push further than this again as the failure of either can kill the motherboard.

If your cyan nozzles are blocked and have been blocked for a while maybe their is no way of getting them back.
I was told by a technician friend that cyan is the most likely to block due to it been denser and this seemed the case with our last head as it seemed to loose cyan nozzles first.

I would answer the above questions and then we may be able to help further.

SC

EmpireGFX.com

What's the test print like?
Show us your test print.

Is the capping station pulling ink properly? I think so but I guess I don't know how to know for sure...
Is the wiper clean and moving properly? As far as I know.. I have been getting a "wiper sensor error" a few times earlier this week.. the last time I got these I had to replace the maintenance station... I am on the second replacement so far since I have owned the machine.
How are you cleaning the head, are you soaking it or just using the machines cleaning facility? I am using the machine's cleaning options as well as cleaning it with a swab (via maintenance mode)

How old is the head, head cable and maintenance station? Machine was bought 2/08.. maintenance station has been replaced twice since then, the last time was 6/11 (I seem to need to replace it every 2 years). The head has never been replaced so it is 5 years old
I believe 4 years is the maximum you will get out of a head and head cable. Head cable has also never been replaced so it is 5 years old as well.
I would never push further than this again as the failure of either can kill the motherboard.

If your cyan nozzles are blocked and have been blocked for a while maybe their is no way of getting them back.
I was told by a technician friend that cyan is the most likely to block due to it been denser and this seemed the case with our last head as it seemed to loose cyan nozzles first.

I would answer the above questions and then we may be able to help further.

SC

I attached some pics of the issue I am having along with the nozzle check results.. it was hard to capture the fading/banding in the print but I did my best. I am not showing any blocked nozzles in cyan, just a few missing in Black. I really haven't had many problems with this machine in the 5 years I have owned it.. and I would hate to start now. Looking forward to your response.. hopefully I can get this issue resolved ASAP! Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• Mutoh1304_Cyan_01.jpg
    Mutoh1304_Cyan_01.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Mutoh1304_Cyan_02.jpg
    Mutoh1304_Cyan_02.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Mutoh1304_Cyan_03.jpg
    Mutoh1304_Cyan_03.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Mutoh1304_Cyan_04.jpg
    Mutoh1304_Cyan_04.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 150

heyskull

Can you show some of the test print complete showing CMYK as I can't see the complete set I can only see black and a little of the cyan?
It looks to me as if their is some out in the cyan as well am I correct?
Me personally if it was my machine and based on my experience I would at least change the head cable with an original mutoh one as this can deteriorate.
Also if money is no object I would replace the head but you may well have to do that anyway.

My machine only had a couple nozzles out on the black and cyan when the head fuse blew on the main board (the head fuse is a mission to replace as it measures about 2mm x 1.5mm and is soldered directly to the board!).
It cost me a tech to come out and install a new head and cable and I had a new main board standing by (thank God I didn't need the board as it was about $3,000)!
Our machine was a late 2007 and died early on this year!
It has been so reliable up to this point and had not needed much maintenance at all!

I seriously believe you are running on borrowed time.
If this was my machine I would replace the head, head cable and fit a new complete maintenance station with pump, wiper and cap.

SC

EmpireGFX.com

Can you show some of the test print complete showing CMYK as I can't see the complete set I can only see black and a little of the cyan?
It looks to me as if their is some out in the cyan as well am I correct?
Me personally if it was my machine and based on my experience I would at least change the head cable with an original mutoh one as this can deteriorate.
Also if money is no object I would replace the head but you may well have to do that anyway.

My machine only had a couple nozzles out on the black and cyan when the head fuse blew on the main board (the head fuse is a mission to replace as it measures about 2mm x 1.5mm and is soldered directly to the board!).
It cost me a tech to come out and install a new head and cable and I had a new main board standing by (thank God I didn't need the board as it was about $3,000)!
Our machine was a late 2007 and died early on this year!
It has been so reliable up to this point and had not needed much maintenance at all!

I seriously believe you are running on borrowed time.
If this was my machine I would replace the head, head cable and fit a new complete maintenance station with pump, wiper and cap.

SC

I tried to take a pic of the nozzle test but it didn't show up very well in the pictures. There aren't any missing from the cyan nozzles.. that is part of the reason I am so confused as to what it could be! Like I said earlier in a previous post I have changed the maintenance station 2 times since we bought the machine and seeing that I am getting the wiper sensor errors more frequently I am guessing that will need to be replaced soon. The last time I bought one they were over $600.. aren't the new heads another $600? How much are the new cables typically? The reason I am asking is the more these "repairs" stack up the more tempted I am to just replace the machine with a new one (either HP Latex or a newer Mutoh Solvent).

FatCat

I tried to take a pic of the nozzle test but it didn't show up very well in the pictures. There aren't any missing from the cyan nozzles.. that is part of the reason I am so confused as to what it could be! Like I said earlier in a previous post I have changed the maintenance station 2 times since we bought the machine and seeing that I am getting the wiper sensor errors more frequently I am guessing that will need to be replaced soon. The last time I bought one they were over $600.. aren't the new heads another $600? How much are the new cables typically? The reason I am asking is the more these "repairs" stack up the more tempted I am to just replace the machine with a new one (either HP Latex or a newer Mutoh Solvent).

You should be able to find a maintenance station for around $400-$500, new head is closer to $1k. Cables aren't expensive at all, comparatively speaking of course.

How long has it been since you replaced dampers? Could be time if they aren't doing their job and the head is starving for cyan ink....?

EmpireGFX.com

You should be able to find a maintenance station for around $400-$500, new head is closer to $1k. Cables aren't expensive at all, comparatively speaking of course.

How long has it been since you replaced dampers? Could be time if they aren't doing their job and the head is starving for cyan ink....?

Honestly the only thing I have replaced on this machine besides the ink is the maintenance station (2 times). It has been a great machine that has been virtually maintenance free (other than weekly cleaning). Where is the best source to get the parts from? The last 2 service stations I bought were from the original company I bought the printer from.. and they seem to have raised their prices every time I need something. I really appreciate all of your replies.. hopefully I can sort this issue out soon!

FatCat

Both Fellers and Signwarehouse stock ample parts for the Mutohs, I believe Advantage has a good supply as well. If you've never replaced your dampers, I would suspect that might have something to do with it. Get those changed out and then your MS and hopefully you should be back to printing like new.

EmpireGFX.com

Both Fellers and Signwarehouse stock ample parts for the Mutohs, I believe Advantage has a good supply as well. If you've never replaced your dampers, I would suspect that might have something to do with it. Get those changed out and then your MS and hopefully you should be back to printing like new.

Do you think I need to change out the cable like heyskull suggested too or should I just try to swap out the damper and maintenance station and hope for the best?

FatCat

I'm not sure. Usually cables go bad due to being covered in ink which eats through the sheath and causes shorts. Otherwise, if you had been in there replacing the head or fixing something to where the cable would be loose or possibly not making good connection I could see that too. It wouldn't hurt anything to do it, but my money is on dampers and the MS.

heyskull

I reckon because of the age I would be changing the head cable and maybe the dampers.
The dampers are probably the cause of your issues but due to the cable being contaminated and the age I would be changing it.

SC

EmpireGFX.com

I reckon because of the age I would be changing the head cable and maybe the dampers.
The dampers are probably the cause of your issues but due to the cable being contaminated and the age I would be changing it.

SC

Sounds like a plan... how many dampers does our machine use? I will try ordering those and a cable and see if that helps the problem or not. Thanks again for all of the help guys!

heyskull

Their is 8 dampers in total as their are 2 lines of CMYK.
Make sure that head cable is genuine Mutoh as I have heard some of the aftermarket ones are not as good quality.

SC