• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1304 Issues

PolarBear

Hi,
I have been having multiple issues with my Mutoh recently and I am trying to isolate the problem.
It started with several colors coming out "mucky". A yellow was printing with shades of green.
I just printed a color chart with gray and several came out with blue or green tints that don't match what I have had in the past.
That makes me think that at least the cyan is leaking over, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.
Also, the black has starting showing banding.

A nozzle check comes back pretty clean, with a couple of issues, so I did a cleaning and it is now soaking.

I read a little that indicated this might be a capping station issue. How can I test for that and are there some other tests you recommend for identifying the issues?

Thanks,
Lori

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The colors mixing could also be an issue with a cartridge getting too low and creating back pressure in the cap. Is one of your cartridges running low or have you just replaced one?

Jim Doggett

Hi,
I have been having multiple issues with my Mutoh recently and I am trying to isolate the problem.
It started with several colors coming out "mucky". A yellow was printing with shades of green.
I just printed a color chart with gray and several came out with blue or green tints that don't match what I have had in the past.
That makes me think that at least the cyan is leaking over, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.
Also, the black has starting showing banding.

A nozzle check comes back pretty clean, with a couple of issues, so I did a cleaning and it is now soaking.

I read a little that indicated this might be a capping station issue. How can I test for that and are there some other tests you recommend for identifying the issues?

Thanks,
Lori

Using the same media and profiles as before, when all was well? If so, the heads might be toast. How old are they, in terms of hours of printing?

PolarBear

Yes, it is on the same media and same output profile. In one case, even a file that has printed correctly in the past.
Head being toast - ouch!
I don't know how many hours are on it. Is there a way to see that?

The cartridges seem ok on level, but I did replace one not too long ago. I am testing my memory, but I think it was replaced after the color issues started.

Lori

PolarBear

The nozzle check looks clean so I just ran a print of 2x2 blocks of CMYK and the shades of gray from before and those look clean too.
I tried another print with mixed colors (red beside the gray) and they are not clear. The 15% K gray look s like the sample of the 40% K with a green tone.
Some days I really hate this thing. :banghead:
Lori

PolarBear

I will post pictures, but it will have to be in the morning. I just had something land on my desk that has to take priority for the night.
Thank you so much for the help.

Lori

PolarBear

picture

I'm sorry it's not a better picture, but I wanted to get something posted. I'll try for another image in a few minutes, but I was having difficulties with my camera this morning.
Here is the black and half of the blue nozzle check. (the bottom one since the top 2 overlapped)

Lori

PolarBear

2nd attempt to add photo

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 55

Tel

Not really what you wish to hear but when we had inks mixing like you describe on a 1204 it was the manifold in the head, the plastic/composite type material that the dampers fit into apparently with lots of use it cracks and the inks can cross contaminate, unfortunatley the fix was a new head.
I hope I am wrong in your case.
Good Luck
Tel