• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mutoh 1604 possible damper issue or ?

Angela

Have a problem with some black ink miss fire. We have soaked and soaked the head and cleanings. When we run a nozzle check, the second set of bars for black are missing about 70%. We replaced the black dampers, but did notice that the new damper for one of the blacks didn't fill all the way up with ink. We tried several new dampers but to no avail. Is it an air leak? We can't tell. When we run in fine wave it prints fine, but slow for our production work. On one soaking we did get all bars on black, but only once and the problem keeps comming back. It makes us think that it isn't the head. We need some help on this one. Called one tech over the phone who said replace the head. Cost is an issue. We'd like to start with a process of elimination to determine the problem, starting with the least expensive. We think the pump is ok because other than black, it prints fine. We have checked the bottom two drainage lines, they seem to be fine and flowing ink. We ran some cleaning solution through the capping station as well. We hope to get some help. Thanks

FatCat

If its the outermost black channel that is missing nozzles, there is a good chance your head is not sitting on the cap top squarely, or the cap top and/or maintenance station is due for replacement because the rubber gasket eventually loses shape and/or elasticitiy. Usually I would find missing nozzles on the outer edge and the culprit was one of those 2 issues.

Its honestly the biggest culprit (Maintenance Station) for many problems dealing with missing nozzles, etc. Can't stress how important the MS is....lot cheaper to change it than a head.

x2chris7x

We just had almost the exact problem with our 1614. Replaced maintenance station, and black damper... It actually turned out to be the head though :( One tech that we talked to said it was likely something went wrong with the head, and thats what was causing the air leak...

Angela

it's the inner black on the nozzle check

If its the outermost black channel that is missing nozzles, there is a good chance your head is not sitting on the cap top squarely, or the cap top and/or maintenance station is due for replacement because the rubber gasket eventually loses shape and/or elasticitiy. Usually I would find missing nozzles on the outer edge and the culprit was one of those 2 issues.

Its honestly the biggest culprit (Maintenance Station) for many problems dealing with missing nozzles, etc. Can't stress how important the MS is....lot cheaper to change it than a head.

Not sure if this matters, but its the innner black or the second black on the nozzle check. Thanks for your first reply

RG

I agree with what FatCat said 100%. Just last weekend my 1204 was acting very similar to to what yours is doing. I tried a couple of cleanings and I could see ink exiting the waste ink tubes, but cleaning didn't help clear up the missing nozzles. I took the fixture off that holds the cap top in place and found that the air-tube that's under the cap top was completely plugged with dried ink. I replaced that tube, did a cleaning, and everything was back to working OK. If you take this part off, be sure to make sure that the 2 tubes that carry ink from the cap top to the pump are not plugged up, too. And use a syringe to push some cleaning fluid through the 2 ink pump tubes to make sure they are not plugged up, also.

Vellu

Are the missing nozzles same or changing?

If the missing nozzles doesn't change place, i think its most likely faulty head. If it's not same nozzles that are missing it's propably something else. I have a 1614, so I don't know if the head mounting is 100% same, but I had lot's of problems with wiper not wiping the head properly because of of dried ink in the sides of the head. How old is the head?