• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1624 Head Cleaning Best?

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
How is the best way to clean my Mutoh 1624 head. I am having issues with my black! I have soaked the head with a cloth soaked in cleaning solution letting it sit over night. Still problems!

How is the best way to clean my Mutoh 1624 head. I am having issues with my black! I have soaked the head with a cloth soaked in cleaning solution letting it sit over night. Still problems!

Hi Todd,

I have a VJ 1204 and I am having similar issues. I was told by SW to replace the maintenance station, and I did so thinking that one of the suction hoses was clogged. I installed and performed about 20 head soaks and 20 head cleanings. Unfortunately, that didn't really help as I was till missing an entire black channel.

I took the second to last resort by removing the head and flushing each port. CMY was great and a clean stream, but the blacks were still misdirected and sporadic. A few more headsoaks and still the same issue. Results in banding primarily.

My next step is to replace the head and pray!

If you figure anything else out, I am all ears! Best of luck!

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
Last night I am thinking the same as you. I noticed that the 2 black tubes leading from the maintenance station were unhooked. Not sure why the previous owner did this but I bought it that way. When I hooked them up I started having a new problem even though I think they are all related. I am getting no ink through the “K” tubes. I am thinking the black tubes are clogged coming from the station because when I run a cleaning on the head, the head holder fills up with ink and flows over the sides?! I am replacing the maintenance station today. I’ll let you know. Does this station control the suction that pulls the ink through the ink tubes?

Yes! The calling station in the maintenance station creates a seal on the print head and pulls ink through by suction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Hello.

We've been there, done that. We want to chip in to help.

When there is a problem with missing nozzles, basically you want to look into two parts before printhead replacement. 1. Dampers. How long ago did you change dampers? Every 12 months is recommended by the service book. Use only genuine dampers. Aftermarket dampers on this particular printer model never work. 2. Maintenance station. How long ago did you change the maintenance station? Every 12 months is recommended by the service book. Use only genuine dampers. Aftermarket dampers on this particular printer model never work.

So, 1 and 2 didn't work, you may want to flush the printer with eco solvent cleaning solution. Buy four cleaning cartridges, buy four color cards. Insert all four cleaning cartridges with color cards. Treat it as ink cartridges. The printer wouldn't know. Perform three strong cleans. Close the two hoses below maintenance station. Pour cleaning solution to the cap and move the carriage to the right to close so the head is soaked. Let it sit for overnight. Perform three more strong cleans the next day. If the head doesn't open, don't waste your time. Buy a new printhead. We did recover one printhead that sat for 3 months in a storage room to 100%. Make sure you use new dampers and maintenance station so the cleaning solution could travel through the channels as good as it could gets.

Cleaning cartridges. Call to special order 949-209-7306.
Smart Cards: http://www.premiercolour.com/generi...-valuejet-628-1324-1618-1624-1638-2638-440ml/
OEM Dampers: http://www.premiercolour.com/origin...jet-628-1608hs-1614-1324-1624-1628-1638-2638/
OEM Maintenance Station: http://www.premiercolour.com/original-maintenance-assembly-for-mutoh-valuejet-vj-1604-1614-1624/
OEM Printhead: http://www.premiercolour.com/original-mutoh-print-head-assy-vj-1324-1624-dg-42987/

Premier Colour, Inc is an authorized Mutoh dealer for services and parts. All parts carry no warranty if not installed by a Mutoh certified technician.

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
Hello.

We've been there, done that. We want to chip in to help.

When there is a problem with missing nozzles, basically you want to look into two parts before printhead replacement. 1. Dampers. How long ago did you change dampers? Every 12 months is recommended by the service book. Use only genuine dampers. Aftermarket dampers on this particular printer model never work. 2. Maintenance station. How long ago did you change the maintenance station? Every 12 months is recommended by the service book. Use only genuine dampers. Aftermarket dampers on this particular printer model never work.

So, 1 and 2 didn't work, you may want to flush the printer with eco solvent cleaning solution. Buy four cleaning cartridges, buy four color cards. Insert all four cleaning cartridges with color cards. Treat it as ink cartridges. The printer wouldn't know. Perform three strong cleans. Close the two hoses below maintenance station. Pour cleaning solution to the cap and move the carriage to the right to close so the head is soaked. Let it sit for overnight. Perform three more strong cleans the next day. If the head doesn't open, don't waste your time. Buy a new printhead. We did recover one printhead that sat for 3 months in a storage room to 100%. Make sure you use new dampers and maintenance station so the cleaning solution could travel through the channels as good as it could gets.

Cleaning cartridges. Call to special order 949-209-7306.
Smart Cards: http://www.premiercolour.com/generi...-valuejet-628-1324-1618-1624-1638-2638-440ml/
OEM Dampers: http://www.premiercolour.com/origin...jet-628-1608hs-1614-1324-1624-1628-1638-2638/
OEM Maintenance Station: http://www.premiercolour.com/original-maintenance-assembly-for-mutoh-valuejet-vj-1604-1614-1624/
OEM Printhead: http://www.premiercolour.com/original-mutoh-print-head-assy-vj-1324-1624-dg-42987/

Premier Colour, Inc is an authorized Mutoh dealer for services and parts. All parts carry no warranty if not installed by a Mutoh certified technician.

Thanks for the heads up. I replaced the Maintenance Station and every color is is working perfect except for one side of the K head. I am soaking over night to see if I can get it back. I have done several strong cleans so if this doesn't work has anyone ever created a head cleaner with the ends of the ink tube that screw onto the head for each color that fits the ink input sides with a syringe on the end of the tube and tried putting cleaner through it that way with a little pressure? I used to do this with my old HP's and UV printers?

henryp

Thanks for the heads up. I replaced the Maintenance Station and every color is is working perfect except for one side of the K head. I am soaking over night to see if I can get it back. I have done several strong cleans so if this doesn't work has anyone ever created a head cleaner with the ends of the ink tube that screw onto the head for each color that fits the ink input sides with a syringe on the end of the tube and tried putting cleaner through it that way with a little pressure? I used to do this with my old HP's and UV printers?
IMG_9880.JPG

I would push cleaning solution through the head using a syringe as a last resort, just be careful that you do not exert too much pressure or you can cause more damage the head. I have made my own improvised cleaning jig, a bit crude but effective.

Attachments

• IMG_9881.JPG
    IMG_9881.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_9882.JPG
    IMG_9882.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 1,122

Bones99

I had the same issue with the blacks. I installed new dampers, but the problem persisted. Finally called the service tech out to have a look. Turned out to be an air leak in the head somewhere. Not sure how it happened, as they were the ones that installed the new head. Works fine now. Good luck!