• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1638X - Looking to Purchase

Rocket Designs

I have been a Roland guy since 2006. after my xc-540 I could not be happier. I recently purchased an xr-640 and could not be more unhappy and unimpressed. It is grainy, really hard to get printing right and is a nightmare to deal with the new media loading system. Banner rolls are thicker and do not want to fit the media holder very well so creates a lot of issues along with the poor design of cheap metal tubing bolted on that isn't precisely square. At any rate looking for some feedback on the Mutoh 1638 as I have heard very fast speeds and very nice quality. I have look at at the Latex HP 360 direction but I do not feel all the bugs are worked out and I print on as many as 5 different medias a day so would be a hassle. Also looked at Seiko m64s however they can not return a phone call so I have no interest in dealing with a company like that. Any details, profile examples, etc would be great.

Thank You, Roger

Rocket Designs

Considering Seiko after all

I was able to see a m64 Seiko print now and have received back info from them. Seems pretty solid to me. Very pricey but seems built better then the other printers. Any seiko issues? 1638 issues?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The 1638 has been a solid machine for us. we have several installed including one in a company that runs it 16 to 20 hours a day. It can be setup CMYK x2 for speed or CMYK + Light Cyan, Light Magenta, and Light Black for high quality. The printer is easy to use and to maintain. Plus it has won Product of the Year at SGIA two years running.