• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon Outdoor II HEELLLPPP!

sghobbies

Just a few minutes ago, my printer started going haywire, I jumped up and seen this! The metal belt has jumped off.

Attachments

• photo (100).jpg
    photo (100).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 86

jhanson

Your steel belt snapped. It's not all that difficult to change, but the tension has to be set properly or the new belt will snap. Are there any Mutoh techs near you?

sghobbies

No Mutoh techs near by. I did have a belt sent overnight. Looks like I will have to change this myself. I'm a little worried about the tensioner on the far left end. Seems to have a little play in it. Is that normal?

jhanson

Well, first off, getting the new belt fed through the rail isn't too difficult, just use electrical tape to tie it to the old one and then just pull through.

Be careful to not kink, bend, or dent the new belt; those all can cause premature failure.

As for the tensioner, it has two Phillips adjustment screws on it. You will want to back those off equally perhaps 10 turns to get the belt wrapped around, then secure the ends of the belt to the head carriage, then re-tighten the belt until it is tight, but not so tight that it begins to distort (curve).

In short, the belt only needs to be tight enough to not slip on the pulleys. The tensioner pulley also needs to be evenly tightened, or the belt will start walking up and down. I usually have the carriage in the middle of the machine during this process, so that once the belt is installed and the tensioner tightened, I can move the carriage back and forth by hand to check and see if the belt walks.

jhanson

Ah... I should have caught that in the picture. The blades attached to the pinch rollers are a dead giveaway.

Your printer is a Falcon Outdoor, not a Falcon II Outdoor. Make sure you specify what width it is (38 Jr, 46, 62 inches) when ordering the new belt.

Most of what I said above still applies, but your printer is a little more forgiving and doesn't need as much tension as the big FIIO printers do.