• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Value Jet 1604 error code 074

Angela

Our Mutoh Value Jet 1604 keeps getting an error code 074. We have already tried several things...Cleaning the milar strip with alcohol, moving the carriage and turning off the printer and disconnecting. We've cleaned the entire printer. We decided to get a tech out and called Mutoh, and did everything the Mutoh tech told us to do, but still have the problem. The printer will print, but sometimes will stop in the middle of a print, sometimes will start reading the the media and then stop, all with the same error code ( 074) Mutoh recommended GEI Wide Format to come out, but are very expensive. In addition, they only guarantee their work for 30 days, If they install parts and there is still a problem, you still have to pay for the parts even if not needed and all the labor.

Does anyone know of a tech in So. Ca. that is good at somewhat reasonable prices. We need one really quick to come out. Losing work as I type.

Any interim solutions would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

heyskull

This is so like the type of technicians you get over here in the UK.
They are completley clueless and just ad parts till the machine starts working, and then sometimes can't complete the job.
I will have a look in the service manual tomorrow and see whate the 074 error code is for you.

SC

Angela

This is so like the type of technicians you get over here in the UK.
They are completley clueless and just ad parts till the machine starts working, and then sometimes can't complete the job.
I will have a look in the service manual tomorrow and see whate the 074 error code is for you.

SC

Thank you I would appericiate it. Yea the estimate is up to like 2 grand with the supposed parts we MIGHT need, and don't even get me started on their contract, lets just say ridiculous. Anything you might be able to tell me would be extremely appericiated.

heyskull

Well I have had a look....
It says check the T Fence, check the encoder.

And check the main board connections!
Also could be the motor.

Maybe the worst it could be is the main board.

Hope this helps.

SC

Is the error always near the capping station? I would check the plunger that holds the head on the capping station. I will get bent slightly left and hold up the head every now and then.

jiarby

Is the error always near the capping station? I would check the plunger that holds the head on the capping station. I will get bent slightly left and hold up the head every now and then.

Like this one... I bent it back and was fine. Then a year or so later it was clipping the head again do I used masking tape to hold the black plunger down.

Recently, while working on my capping station, I just removed it all together.

Attachments

• Err074.jpg
    Err074.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 362

randya

Unfortunately the 074 CR2 error is kind of a catch all error code, and can be difficult to diagnose. So basically, if there is some otherwise undefined error occuring it will get registered under this code.

It can be as simple as a dirty t-fence, a bad motor, or even a bad carriage bearing.
I have even seen this error due to a dirty or warped pf encoder as well.
Or as in jiarby's case, the head solenoid lock mechanism.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Like this one... I bent it back and was fine. Then a year or so later it was clipping the head again do I used masking tape to hold the black plunger down.

Recently, while working on my capping station, I just removed it all together.

You shouldn't remove or tape this down, this piece keeps the print head capped, once the print head is in the maintenance station the printer relies on the head resting on this piece to keep it capped and without it the head will move to the left and will expose the nozzle plate to air. The printer will also not clean correctly because the head will move out to the left during cleanings as well.

unmateria

Try unidirectional Mode printing. That problem is usually related to cr motor dying, and is only visible on bidirectional modes